Chapter 11

Vex's POV:

I dragged Olthen away from Will and Rose so that they could be alone at least for a little while. How Will spoke about Rose and about the relationship they had and where they seemed to have left off, how Rose was acting towards him now didn't seem right. Maybe they could clear things up if I took Olthen out of the picture, so that's exactly what I did. I'll try to stall him for as long as I can, but while I am, maybe I can get some information out of him. Information that will not only benefit Will, but will benefit me as well. "What's wrong, angel? I thought you'd be pleased?" Olthen said when we entered our shared room.

"Olthen, you can't just threaten people like that. You knew how it'd effect Will." I crossed my arms and gave him a disappointed expression. He rolled his eyes and put a hand on my shoulder.

"He needed to learn his lesson. Besides, it's not a threat when I fully intend on it." He said waltzing over to his bed and lying down with both hands behind his head.

"Why do you even need Rose? Can't you find another way?" I asked walking over to him and sitting down on the bed as well.

"It has to do with my powers, Vex. I channel my portals through nature." He explained. I shook my head.

"I'm sure you could find another way. Or at least talk Rose into it with less... you know... death threats to her family." I said looking him in the eye. He ignored my gaze and closed his eyes, relaxing.

"If there was another way I'd do it, but there simply isn't." He stated.

"Just don't hurt her, Olthen. You know she doesn't deserve that." I knew this would fire him up, and I was right.

"She destroyed everything I worked for. Years of careful planning. All wasted." He shot up to his feet and glared at me. Not in a way that he intended on scaring me, he was just angry at her.

"Olthen. I'm serious. Don't do anything to her. Will would be so hurt, Olthen. I know you think he betrayed you, but this is going too far." I said getting up as well. I rested a hand on his cheek and gave him a soft gaze. He smirked a little, but stopped himself when he spoke.

"Fine, but there isn't much I can do if she drains herself in the process." He explained. I could tell he meant it and I appreciated that. For Will's sake.

"Thank you. Really." I said and gave him a kiss on the lips. He smiled.

"Anything for you. I can handle this, Vex. Things will be so much better afterwards." He said, hope in his words and expression.

"I hope... what are your plans for Rose anyways?" I asked sitting down on the bed, with him following in suit next to me.

"Do you know the lake near here? The one with the bridge?" He asked.

"Yeah? What about it?"

"I'm going to open a portal. The biggest one yet. She'll be able to part the water for us." I looked at him in shock.

"That's... that's incredible." I said, excited to see what that would look like. The area under the bridge, because of how the bridge is shaped, looks like a half circle. So, with a portal there where the water would be parted, would be absolutely perfect.

"When I open the portal... I want you to stay here." Olthen said, shaking me out of my thoughts.

"But why? I could help you." I said confused.

"..." He remained silent. I rolled my eyes.

"Olthen, come on. Are you ok? Why don't you want me to come with you?" I said turning my body to face him completely.

"It's just... not safe." He refused to meet my gaze.

"You know I'm more than capable of handling things. Why wouldn't it be safe? Where will the portal lead to?" I asked, curious.

"I-Well, you know the book? The one I lost?" I nodded.

"Yeah?"

"There was uh... a page in it. About this. It's advanced stuff. Just a little bit of necromancy."

"And?" I asked, wondering what this had to do with anything.

"Right, you don't know what that is... Sienna never mentioned it?" I rolled my eyes.

"Olthen, are you gonna tell me what your plans are or not?" I said annoyed.

"The Underworld." He stated, finally.

"The Underworld? Why in the world would you need to go there?" I threw my hands up, confused.

"I don't... It's-It's my dad."

"You want to get him back? Did he pass?" I asked. He simply nodded, refusing to say anything more about it. "Oh... I'm sorry, Olthen." I said putting a hand on his shoulder.

"It's fine. It's a necessity. Nothing else." I understood how he felt. When you lose someone close, you'd do anything just to even get one more minute with them. But, sometimes you gotta think about them and not your own personal gain. The dead deserve to rest in peace. Simple as that.

"Olthen, you can't just... resurrect someone just because you miss them. Why can't you just let him rest in peace?"

"You don't believe me? I said it was necessary."

"But why, Olthen? Why can't you live without him? You have Will and you have me." I said. I knew neither Will nor I would ever be able to fill his fathers place, but it was worth a shot at this point. Olthen couldn't actually think trying to resurrect someone is a good idea.

"It's not about that."

"Then what is it about?"

"The book. I'm certain he's the one who took it. Probably greedy for its power." I shook my head. I didn't believe him for a second.

"You have got to be kidding me, Olthen! This is all about power? Seriously? That's hard to believe at the moment, Olthen. Will you please tell me the truth. Now." I commanded him. He looked at me, tears beginning to brim his eyes. This is the first time I've ever seen Olthen so vulnerable. I almost felt... sorry for him.

"I-I just need him back, alright!" He exclaimed.

"And he needs to be left alone, Olthen!" I shot right back.

"I can't do that. I'm sorry. I truly am, you have to believe me. But I can't listen." I was fed up. I got up and headed to the door and put my hand on the handle. Just before I left, I turned to him.

"I do believe you... but that doesn't change the fact that I'm disappointed in you. I really thought you were better than this. I thought you had just a little humanity left in you, but I was wrong. You're just as selfish as you make yourself out to be." I opened the door and began to leave, but Olthen spoke up, stopping me in my tracks. I turned around to see him plop down into a chair that was in the room. The only other piece of furniture other than the bed and a little bedside table that was in the room.

"If you ever thought differently you were wrong." He said, his voice shaky even though I knew he tried to hide it. I smiled sadly to myself, but it turned into a frown.

"I guess I was." And then I left, closing the door behind me.