Chapter 13

Will's POV:

After leaving Rose in the cell, I decided to go to my lab. I had to think of something, anything to get Rose out of this. I couldn't just leave her there to rot. Or worse, to be manipulated by Olthen. While I thought. I started growing some plants. Not for anything in particular, it just tended to calm me down when I was stressed. Get my mind off of things. Not long after I sat down, though, did my door slam open. It revealed a smirking Olthen. I wasn't ready to talk to Olthen right now though. I had these conflicting emotions all winding up inside of me that I was trying to sort out and him talking to me, let alone being here was really screwing that up. But he didn't see that, as he spoke up. "Will. I need you for a test." He stated. I rolled my eyes before getting up and turning to face him.

"What is it." I stated blandly. Olthen was the one rolling his eyes now. He knew I was angry at him for doing this to Rose. But I knew he didn't care.

"Oh come on, Will! You knew I had to do what I did. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not here on the account of Rose's fate. Not directly at least." I decided to try to take my emotions off of my mind and just pay attention to what Olthen had to say. I walked over and leaned on the lab table, looking up at him. "Good. Good... so, I need that serum." I looked at him with disbelief.

"For... for what?" I questioned, concerned.

"Oh calm down now. I'm not going to use it on Rose or any of your other... friends. I've found someone to test it on. I need to make sure it works, so I've decided that a test subject is the best way to go about it." Olthen explained. To say the least, I was relieved. Not for the poor soul that would be Olthens lab rat, but for Rose, Shadow, and Walker.

"So, when would you need it?" I asked. I smiled widely.

"I'd say about uh.... right now." His expression went crazed with a maniacal smile plastered on his face. I didn't answer as I got to work. His expression frightened me. It really did. And I knew when he looked and acted like this, defiance was never a good idea. In a matter of an hour with a close watch from Olthen, it was finished. I poured it into a needle so that he could inject his victim. I made the serum unstable as he asked. Normally I wouldn't have, but I knew he would be using it for his test subject so I really didn't care. As long as he was occupied then I could take that time to make a similar looking serum so that when he uses it on my friends, he'd be using a placebo.

"So... uh. Olthen?" I said handing it to him. He smirked and put the needle in his pocket.

"Yes yes, what is it, Will." He said pushing his hair back nonchalantly.

"Who exactly did you find to be the test subject?" I asked. Maybe it was Maddox. Or Sienna. Anyone else. Maybe even a stranger he took off the streets.

"Oh, the subject? Ah yes, I found myself a little flower for that." And he left the room without another word. It took me a minute to realize what he meant. I quickly booked it to the cells.

I screamed for him to stop, "NO NO!!! OLTHEN, PLEASE DON'T!!!!" But all he did was proceed to slam the door in my face. At this point, I was freaking out. I could feel my body shaking as I was trying to break the door down. I needed to get to her. I should have known better than to do this. I repeatedly started banging at the door, my throat becoming raw from screaming. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder, I jumped up, startled, to see Vex.

"Will? What's going on? Are you ok?" I shook my head frantically.

"He's got the serum! He's gonna use it on Rose! Vex, help me please." I pleaded, tears running down my cheeks. Vex went up to the door and yelled loud enough for Olthen to hear. Her voice was booming. I heard a thump and then faint footsteps towards the door. Olthen opened it and I rushed in, running straight to Rose. I heard Vex's voice command Olthen to drop the vile, and he did as I heard glass break soon after she spoke. Somehow, Vex had gotten Olthen to go with her and I was alone with Rose. Well, Walker and Shadow were in the other cell, but I could see there were fine from a quick glance to see their faces laced with horror. I ignored them though, and tended to Rose. I looked at her unconscious form and cradled her neck in my hand to told her head. She had a huge mark where Olthen had injected her. I looked at the vile on the floor where Olthen had dropped it to see there wasn't much left. He had given her more than intended most likely. I bit my lip, tasting blood. I didn't care though. "Rose? Hey, come on. P-Please wake up." I said resting my forehead to hers. I could feel her soft breaths hit my face which indicated she was in fact alive. I turned to Shadow. "Did her head hit the floor?" I questioned. Shadow seemed at a loss for words. She just slowly shook her head no. I looked back to Rose to see that the way she had been laying, her head had, thankfully, landed on the small mattress. I picked her up quickly and headed for the door, rushing quickly to my lab. I need to figure out how to reverse these effects. And now.