Chapter 1

Vex's POV:

I aim my bow directly at it and... "Got it." I say after I let the arrow fly directly into the deer's neck. I smirk at the sight and then walk over to it, ripping the arrow from its neck. It twitches and I roll my eyes, stabbing it in its heart to put it out of its misery and then I pick it up, swinging it across my back. It's heavy, but I don't mind as I begin my short walk back to camp.

"Back so soon?" My 'boss' asks me. I roll my eyes.

"Yes. Here's your bow by the way." I toss it to him as he catches it at the last second.

"I told you not to take my things." He replies sternly. I walk up to him and wrap my arms lazily around his neck, giving him a peck on the lips as he slithers his hands around my waist.

"And I told you not to tell me what to do." I say, letting go, beginning to drag the deer over to the preparation table. "Prep the poor animal to eat so we all can have dinner tonight, would ya?" I ask, knowing my words have too much of an effect on him. He nods absentmindedly, doing as I say. I smirk at the sight and then leave to go check on the... others.

"V-Vex?" I hear Maddox ask. "Is that you?" I step into his room seeing he's just woken up.

"Hey, Maddox. How ya doing? Need me to get you something?" I say, sitting at the end of his bed. Maddox has always been a... friend of mine. He's more of a little minion, following me around, listening to every word I say without me having to really force him to do anything. He's a good kid, and he didn't deserve to be here. He was important though. If I had a certain job I needed him to do, he was always more than willing to do it. Since most of the demigods have died that Olthen had recruited, he's been especially hard on Maddox. I had to get close to him so that he wouldn't hurt the poor kid. If it was up to me, I'd kill Olthen and take over myself. But... he's a little too powerful for me right now. And, seeing as I didn't have any powers and wasn't a demigod myself, I'd have to find another way to take over.

"No I'm ok. Thanks, Vex. Have you talked to Olthen? Are you alright?" He said getting up and checking me over.

"Oh stop it, Mads. I'm fine. You know I have Olthen wrapped around my finger. He'd never hurt me." I rolled my eyes and ruffled Maddox's hair. He smiled and nodded sadly, putting his shoes on.

"Alright, as long as you're ok..." I smirked just as someone burst into the room.

"Ey! What's up, Bird Brain?!" Sienna came in excitedly, patronizing Maddox. Ever since she learned that Maddox could turn into a bird, she's been calling him that nonstop. Sienna is Olthen's sister because they have the same godly parent. She still hates him as much as the rest of us though.

"Hey, Sienna." He said quietly, but I knew he was glad she came. He's always talking to her and following Sienna around too. I was glad because Sienna is pretty close to me. She should just be a little less... extravagant around Maddox. He's quiet and doesn't really like much attention on himself.

"Whatcha guys doing?" She asked hopping onto Maddox's bed.

"I just got back from hunting. Decided to check in." I said blankly. She smirked.

"What'd ya catch?" I smiled, remembering the kill.

"A deer. Got 'em straight in the neck. First shot." I recalled feeling rather proud of myself.

"Sweet. Olthen cleaning it up for dinner?" She smiled, I could see she was hungry.

"Yep. Told him to, so he is." I said getting up. "I'm gonna check in on Will. See how he's taking everything. See you guys later." I heard Maddox sigh as I walked out the door.

"See ya, V." Sienna called. I smiled and then closed the door, walking down the hall to Will's room. Once I made it down the hall, I knocked on the door.

"Hey, Will? It's Vex. Can I come in?" I asked. He called out 'sure' and then I opened the door, stepping in and closing it behind me. "Hey." I greeted him.

"Hi, Vex." He greeted sadly. Will was, apparently, my brother. At least that's what Olthen told us. I've become pretty close to him since he's come with Olthen. I remember the day they 'found' Sienna, Maddox and I. We were hunting, but also searching. Maddox, when he was scouting, saw a portal open up and a bunch of people coming out of it. He said it was incredible, until he saw that a blond haired boy, Olthen, had prisoners. When he told me, I immediately became excited. He's the power source that Sienna and Maddox and I have been searching for. We knew he must have had some sort of way of opening up those portals, and I wanted in. So, we staged a lost demigod type thing as we were hunting, crossed paths, and... Olthen knew us. He greeted us, knowing our names and everything else. It was so weird... scary even. But I've had my fair share of creeps, so I got over it. Olthen showed me mercy, in a sense. Since I'm no demigod, but Maddox and Sienna are, he took us all in. Thank goodness he did because it was my chance to try and get some real power.

"How are you doing after... everything?" I asked. Will was able to trust me after awhile. I talked to him a lot since Olthen said Will saw him as a big brother. I decided I wanted to see him as a little brother. He was kind and caring and a breath of fresh air being away from Sienna and Maddox. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome to be around it's just... sometimes there needs to be a healthy medium between spontaneous and silence. That was Will to me.

"It just... it still hurts, Vex. What Olthen is going to have me do to them... gods, it's just not right." I rolled my eyes.

"Well you don't exactly have a choice, Will. It's their fault for disobeying. If they hadn't have done that then they wouldn't be in this situation now." I explained for the hundredth time today. Will threw up his hands.

"Y-You don't get it, Vex! This serum could kill them an-" I cut him off.

"Could. Key word. It may not." I tried to appease to him. He shook his head in reply.

"J-Just forget about it, Vex. I'll... I'll get over it." He said, clearly wanting to end this conversation.

"Well, I came in here to give you some... good news? I uh... I talked to Olthen and convinced him to let you talk to them before you do anything. If that makes up for anything..." I trailed off waiting for him to respond.

"Really?" He questioned looking up to me.

"Yeah, Will. You can talk to them now if you want. You know where they are." He smiled sadly at me.

"Thanks, I guess." He said getting up. "I'm uh... I'm gonna go see how they're doing." I nodded and then followed him out, closing the door. I decided to head to my own bedroom. I wanted to take a nap before dinner. Either that or spend time with my friends. To that, I fell asleep quickly.