Chapter 3

Myra's POV:

The past few weeks have been emotionally exhausting. Trying to get my mental health sorted has been hard on me, and there were more than a few times I'd broken down into tears. But things finally seem okay again. Or as okay as they can be. My memories of everything are a bit shaky, but they are there. Strong enough that I missed Shadow and Walker. Corbyn, understandably, took Walker's death the hardest out of all of us. He's still grieving, I can tell, but he's started to open up more. Sometimes we talk about Walker together. The two of them had written me notes in case they didn't make it. Both of them had the address to Camp Half-Blood written on the back (which Corbyn said I'd told them) and on the opposite side they'd each written a message to me. A few days ago, Corbyn and I had finally opened up Walker's letter. It read:

Dear Myra,

If you're reading this, then I guess things didn't turn out all that great for me then, huh? Hopefully you have Corbyn with you to harass you for the both of us. Just remember I'm your favorite, okay? Try not to take this too hard. Get yourself and Corbyn home to Camp, just like we always talked about. Try your best to find Corbyn some new friends. He's a loser and can't do it himself. Don't let him get emo either! That goes for you too, M-Dawg. If you're all alone and you have no idea who I am, then go the the address on the back of this paper and ask for Will Solace. Tell him Rose, Cole, and Ben are stuck in the Atlanta Prison Farm in Georgia and need help. Also that your memory is acting up again.

Pull some good pranks in my honor,

Walker

I let Corbyn keep the note. He has been improving though, and has become fast friends with his new half brothers, Connor and Travis Stoll. The three like to pull pranks a lot, but it's good to see Corbyn start to smile again. Damian, on the other hand, is having a rough time coping with the loss of Shadow. He's become relentless in trying to search for her. He changes his sleeping patterns every few days, trying to find a time where he can reach out and sync her mind with his. Reasoning with him is impossible. Damian started to shut us out one by one as we expressed our concerns for his health. I try to help him when I can, even if it's just idly talking to him for awhile.

Now Rose wants to leave to find her mom and she just broke up with Ben. I wish she could see the danger that seems so blatantly in her path, but I know she won't. I didn't either when I wanted to see Khione. The worst part is that I can't do anything about it till I know for a fact that she's in danger, but if I didn't promise her she'd never forgive me. I know she needs support right now, but I just want everyone to be safe for a little while. I'm so tired of fighting and stressing. Poor Ben was a wreck when she was telling us her plans to leave. All I could do was rub his back a bit while she talked. He stayed after with Rose, so hopefully she'll be able to calm him down and smooth things over. If not... then I have a lot more work to do. I have to try and convince Rose not to leave anyways.

"Hey! Wait up!" A voice called out, snapping out of my thoughts. I looked up to see Cole rushing towards me. His golden blond hair was a mess, but he looked happy. Hunter was in the form of a grey and white Akita pup, bouncing after Cole. To be honest, I don't think I would have made a successful recovery without these two. Cole seemed to have a never ending stream of patience when it came to me. He had been the one to never leave my side and was the stability I needed to get back on my feet again. Hunter was just as supportive. Cole and I had started to train him to take on different breeds. We've only mastered three or four, but the more we do it, the quicker Hunter learns. He's an incredibly intelligent dog. Cole's been teaching Hunter how to track scents too, he won't admit it, but I think he's paranoid that Olthen is still around. Rose leaving Camp probably won't ease his fears either.

"Hey, Badger." I replied nonchalantly, sitting on the grass so Hunter could jump into my lap. Cole immediately joined me, lacing our fingers together and placing a kiss on my forehead with an affectionate smile. For a moment we just sat together. I stroked Hunter's fur while Cole hummed quietly. A soft breeze rustled the grass as warm sunlight soaked into my skin. Being held captive in that dark cell has made me much more appreciative of sunlight. Cole insists I spend a lot of time outside now anyways since I am and I quote: "Lacking important vitamins".

"I know you're scared, but Rose will be okay. She did a lot of the planning to get you both out of that prison." Cole assured me, his smile faltering a bit. I sighed and looked up at him, making eye contact. His eyes are the same color as light blue seaglass, or like those clear blue waves you always see in travel commercials. They were somehow a mix of being bright, warm, and startlingly intelligent all at once. He laughed, showing off a cocky smirk. "You're staring again, Frostbite."

"You're mine. I'm allowed to stare." I grumbled indignantly, fighting the heat rising to my cheeks. Cole knows how to get a reaction from me. He's always known. I focused my gaze back on Hunter's soft fur and spoke up again. "I know she can handle herself normally, but after everything that's happened? I don't know. I just have a bad feeling. It's probably just paranoia after everything we've been through." I sighed and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. I need to learn to trust Rose. She's perfectly capable of handling herself. Also because I swore on the Styx I wouldn't go after her unless I was certain she was in danger. I can't afford to be cursed by a broken Styx promise. I'm already too unlucky.

"I know it is. Try not to get yourself worked up. I don't want you stressing out and having another anxiety attack or triggering anymore flashbacks. Just relax, okay? Let's take Hunter for a walk around the lake." Cole soothed, squeezing my hand tighter. I picked up Hunter's leash and stood up, stretching. It's not even lunchtime yet and I already feel drained from the eventful morning. Hunter led the way in front of Cole and I. We go on walks like these a lot. I'm pretty sure Cole just does it to make sure I'm getting exercise, but I don't mind. At the moment, Cole has positioned his hand comfortingly around my waist and is humming under his breath to fill the peaceful silence we've fallen into. I'm still not quite sure how I ended up with him, but it feels good to have a reminder that I have something to fight for. A reminder that I have something to live for.