Thirty-four.

Thirty-four
[Adam]

I go to bed immediately after the conversation we had in the kitchen. Leen knocks on the door and walks in quietly, "Adam?"
I ignore her and close my eyes. "You can't be sleeping already!" she exclaims. "We need to talk! You can't go to sleep while you're mad at me."
I sigh and sit up, "Do you really care?"
She looks taken aback by the questions, "Of course I care! Why would I be here begging you to talk if I don't care?"
"Why would you hide something so important and dangerous from me if you care?"
"I already told you why! I called you before I left but you didn't pick up so I assumed you were busy and I had to leave quickly. And when it happened I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to panic or think of it as something greater than it actually was, plus Abed took care of everything."
"Do you know how it makes blood boil in my head picturing what happened that day? Picturing you get in an accident and a man keeps shouting at you and God knows what he had in mind! And you being in that state-horrified and worried yet totally on your own on the street at such a late hour!"
"We should at least be thankful to Allah it's over!" She walks toward me and sits on the bed. "Nothing big happened, Adam. And I really missed you and I couldn't wait till you come back so you can't be this cold to me when you're finally here." Her eyes start to tear and it immediately shatters my anger away. I take a deep breath and clear my throat. Sometimes it's really awkward when you're no longer mad and you don't know how to get back to normal so abruptly. I tilt my head her way and she looks at me. I look for something to say when she hugs me.
"You're no longer mad," she says.
"H-How did you know?"
"It's all over your face." I hug her back. God, I missed her so much.
"So, will you eat now?" she says breaking apart. "You shouldn't go to bed hungry after such a long day."
"I've seen rice-stuffed vine leaves on the table a while ago," I smile at her. "Good that you came after me because I would've been really disappointed if I didn't get to eat it."
She laughs, "That's the only reason you're happy I came after you?"
"Mmm, yes," I tease her.
"Oh! How could you be so heartless!"
"I'm not heartless yubo, I'm hungry."
"Well, the vine leaves are waiting for you."

The next morning, I wake up at nine to find Leen has already left for work. A faint memory of her telling me she's leaving earlier comes to my mind. I lay on my back and stare at the ceiling, appreciating the time I get to rest and not think of something productive to do. The phone beeps with a message from Leen, I slide it open and read.

It says: Adam, Jenin has called and she wants me to go shopping for the baby with her, so i will be a little late. I'll buy dinner on my way home. I'll call you when my classes are over. Love you xxx

I reply with an 'okay' and 'love you more' then put the phone back and throw my head on the pillow again. Maybe I should go see my family today.

I change quickly, grab the phone and keys and leave.

Aya opens up and asks about Leen.
"She's at work," I reply.
"Oh right, come in."
I go the living room to find mom watching tv. I kiss her head and take a seat. "How was your trip habibi?" she asks turning the volume down.
"It was tiring," I say.
"And how is everything going on with Leen?" I remember what happened yesterday and I hope my face expressions doesn't show off any signs because she will immediately know.
I smile, "Great. Alhamdulillah." The last thing I'd want now is mom thinking Leen doesn't take a good care of me.

I leave for home at 7 in the evening. Leen calls once I'm inside the car.
"Are you home yet?" I ask.
"Yes, I just arrived. Adam did you really leave all the windows and balconies open?" she sighs in disappointment.
"I don't remember," I say starting the car.
"Seriously, Adam! We're in summer, do you know how many insects and flies could get into the house?"
"You're starting to sound like a true Arab wife, Lee."
"You're unbelievable," she sighs again.
"Is leaving the windows open that big of a deal that you're calling?"
"Yes it is, I'll kill you if I glance a single fly, okay?"
I laugh, "okay."