Twenty-four

Twenty-four

[Adam]

We get home, and I find them all waiting for me. I greet them quickly and go to my room. I close the door and throw the bag on the floor, I kick it and sit on the bed. The image of Leen talking to that guy and laughing won’t just go away. Who’s he? And why would she stand with him?

What makes it worse is the fact that she doesn’t feel wrong about it; she was even confused why would I be upset. Like why the heck would I be?! I just saw the girl I love laughing with another guy! I should be really happy about it, maybe go congratulate her for gaining the courage to talk to a man.

Mariam knocks on the door and peeks inside.

“Adam?” she says. I don’t reply. “Can I come in?”

“No,” I say.

“What’s wrong with you for God’s sake!”

“Can you just leave me alone?!” I scream at her.

Aya must have been passing by, outside, because she asks Mariam, “What is it?”

“I don’t know,” Mariam answers closing the door. “Is Ahmed here?”

“Yes, why?” Aya asks. And they both leave because I don’t hear what they say anymore.

A minute or so later, Ahmed comes in without knocking.

“How was your trip, bro?” he asks throwing himself on the bed.

“Ahmed, I’m not in a good mood, let’s talk later,” I say taking off my shoes and getting under the covers.

“You’ll sleep in these clothes?” he asks getting up.

“Yes,” I say. “Goodnight.”

“What night? It’s barely four!”

“I want to sleep!”

“I want to talk!”

“Get out of here,” I say shoving him with my leg.

“I’m intimidated,” he says mockingly, pulling the covers away from me.

I sit up, already fed up; I walk and open the door, “Now leave.”

“You know better than this,” he says closing the door.

I open it again, “Don’t you understand?!” I shout. “Get out of here!”

“Why are you being that despicable to everyone? What did we do?” I really can’t take it all anymore, it all would’ve been easier if he just left from the beginning. I punch him in the face. He unbalances for a moment and hits the wall behind him then stands up.

“You bastard,” he says under his breath and punches me. I grab his t-shirt collar and bring him closer.

“I just don’t want to see anyone, don’t you get it?” I shout.

He jerks my arms away and punches me again, “I’m sorry,” he says. “I’m not leaving you.”

“I just saw her today standing with someone, and laughing! Isn’t that–”

“So, that’s it?” he says. “Why didn’t you just say that from the beginning, you fool piece of shit!” I walk to the bed and sit down.

“It felt too bad,” I say quietly.