Five.

Five

[Leen]

7:00 a.m.

Quick shower. Green skirt. White shirt. Tucked inside. White hijab dotted with green. Brown bag. Brown flats. I’m ready.

I get downstairs and find mom has woken up early. “Morning, mama,” I say leaving a kiss on top of her head.

“Morning, Lee,” she says taking a sip from her coffee and making herself comfortable. “Wait till I make you breakfast then leave.”

“No, I’m really late,” I say checking my watch. “Hey, mom. Can I borrow your phone until dad fixes mine?” I kneel down showing off my puppy eyes.

“But I need it,” she says.

“But you’ll be home all day, mom, you can use the house phone,” I plead.

“Fine, fine, take it.”

“YOU’RE THE BEST MOM EVER!” I say giving her a huge kiss on the cheek. I grab her phone, put it in my bag and run outside.

I arrive at school at eight sharp. I go sign my attendance, and then wait in the cafeteria until it’s time for my class. I buy a carton of juice, some nachos, and check Twitter on mom’s phone. Someone walks in and orders a cup of coffee–one sugar spoon. I look and find the guy I’ve slammed into yesterday.

After a few seconds, he takes his cup and turns to leave, but seems to be taken aback when he sees me. Did he recognize me?

He must have noticed he’s been staring because he looks downwards shamefully, nods his head slightly and leaves. I’ve never seen him here before? Is he a new teacher? Is he a parent? It’s weird to see a stranger two days in a row.

As he’s walking, and despite keeping my gaze low, I notice he’s really tall. Like really really tall. He could be more than 190 cm. For a tall girl like me (170 cm), it’s hard to be impressed by the height of people–unless they’re extremely short–but this guy succeeded in impressing me.

My phone–mom’s phone–starts ringing and Jenin’s name appears on the touch screen. “Asslamu’alikom,” I say.

“Wa’likom Asslam,” she replies. “I called you on your phone then remembered it was broken, the called mom and I guess her phone is confiscated,” she laughs.

I laugh too, “Yeah, I had to have a phone, you know, life revolves around it.”

“Yeah, sure,” I can feel her sticking out her tongue on the other end. “Anyywaay, I was calling to tell you Zeyad asked me if we could go out . .”

“What?” I scream. “And what did you say?”

“I told him I’ll think about it.”

“Think about what?” my jaw is dropping down and lower. “Are you out of your mind? Is a haram thing even thinkable?”

“Why is it haram, anyway?” she asks. “I really would like to understand this, why is it haram if there’s a possibility that we get married?”

“You cannot ask why is something haram! This is actually haram..” I say. “Allah said:  ‘nor those who take [secret] lovers.’ ” I glance at my watch and it says 9:00 which is my class. “I have to go now, Jenin. I’ll call you later. Asslamu’alikom.”

“Okay, Wa’likom Asslam.”

After the class, I go to the teachers’ room, let my bag fall to the desk and put the pile of copybooks I’m carrying. I take the first one and start correcting the students’ essays.

Madam Nadia comes in and walks toward me and I pretend being too busy editing the writings in front of me. “God be with you, Miss Leen,” she says.

“I was thinking that things should get more official now that both you and Kareem are getting older and more responsible.” Oh God, no. “I want you to arrange a meeting for us with your parents.”

“Err, umm, I..” I can’t be impolite. I shouldn’t be impolite. “Okay, Inshallah.” I say.

“Great, let your mother call me when you’re ready to invite us.”

“Sure, Inshallah.”

A get home and text Salam.

Me: Madam Nadia wants to make things official >.<

Salam: OMG! Hasn’t she given up? O.O

Me: Obviously not.. I wanna die *jumping off the balcony*

Salam: *screams* don’t goooo

Me: What am I supposed to do right now?

Salam: Let her meet your parents then politely reject them.

Me: I’ll have to tell mom that

Salam: Yeah that’s the only solution

Salam: Leen

Me: Yes?

Salam: A colleague of mine got killed today

Me: Oh my! Inna lilah wa inna ilayh raji’oon.. (To God we belong and to Him we return)

Salam: I’m so scared Leen

Salam: Death is too close

My eyes get hot and tears collect in them, I close my eyes briefly and they fall, what if my best friend dies? I can’t even comprehend it. Please, Allah, save her for me. Bring her back to me. Save our brothers and sisters in Palestine and Egypt and Syria and Iraq and everywhere around the world, Ya Allah! (O Allah)

Me: You’ll survive this, Salam

Me: I’ll see you again Inshallah. I trust Allah.

Salam: I miss you so much and I’m afraid I’ll die before I see you again

Salam: You’re my only friend, Leen.

Salam: And my only sister.

Ya Allah help us. Ya Allah save Muslims everywhere on your lands, unite them and strengthen them. And let their victory be soon.

 ~~~

Asslamu'alikom everyone :D I know I'm really lazy but here's another chapter :D Hope you love it! Vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it.

This chapter is dedicated to HafsaAdil99, the girl who's added my book to so many beautiful reading lists :D Thank you lovely ;) I hope you'll love this story even more..

Nouran.