Forty-one.

Forty-one
[Leen]

"I had a dream yesterday that both of us were walking with dema and buying her toys and stuff. Isn't it strange that it was you and me not even Jenin and me? We were very happy by the way. We were laughing all along, and I woke up disappointed that it was only a dream.
Anyway, finally we'll be doing our Umrah today. I can't get over how beautiful it is that since I knew you my dreams are coming true one after another. Even the things I lost, though they are too precious to be replaced, you still made it easier. I always thank God that when this happened to me, I mean when I lost my eyesight, you were already with me, because I don't know how I would have bear it otherwise.
I know Ahmed and Mariam's issue is bothering you for some reason, because you feel you were blind all along, I can understand you. But I know you'll only choose the best for both of them because they have always been your favourite people. I know you didn't see it coming and you're quite surprised and you feel weird, but imagine how great it is to help others get the life we have now! Wouldn't you want them to be as happy as we are? Wouldn't you feel great and at ease to know both of them has someone to look after them and make their days better? I am not telling you to agree because you already did, being the awesome Adam you are. I want you to feel good about it, and agree because you actually want to.
Well, I have nothing else to say now. Love you."

I breathe as I get up from the bed. Adam has left earlier saying he'll buy something, and then we're supposed to pray Al-Isha and make the Umrah since we couldn't yesterday because Adam was too tired. I can't contain the excitement! Or the squeals.

Mariam knocks on the door and I get up and make my way slowly to open up.
"Is Adam here?" she asks.
"No he went to-"
"Good we need to talk, you and I," she cuts me off, making me giggle.
"And I thought you were asking about him," I fake being hurt and disappointed.
"Why would I?" she says like it would never cross her mind to ask about him.
"Yeah you have more important people to be asking about now, right?" I smirk, "He's two rooms down the hallway."
"Ha ha, not funny." I slap her arm. "Ouch!"
"So what brings you here?" I ask.
"I know you've already said what you think about Ahmed and I, but I needed some reassurance and you know you're my closest friend now."
I smile at that, "What makes you hesitant?"
"The whole idea of growing up?" she laughs shamefully. "I know this sounds really absurd, but I'm scared."
"I perfectly know how you feel," I nod, "and I've been there. At first you'll feel like running away then eventually you'll want to grow up for him."
"I thought it was the opposite."
"Both of you will grow up for each other," I say remembering how I was really childish when I first got to know Adam but how I kind of matured as we got closer, like even I-the girl-want to do whatever I can to protect him and make him happy.
"How?" she asks when Adam comes back.
"Oh you're here?" he asks.
"No I'm not, do you want me to bring anything on my way?"
"Am I supposed to laugh, Mariam?"
"That's the question I was just about to ask."

I roll my eyes at their childish argument and yell at them to stop. "God, if I had children they wouldn't have been so annoying!"
"So you say you're all grown-up babe?"
"Oh my God Adam how could you be so cheesy?" I say in mock horror.
"He's also wiggling his eyebrows!" Mariam screams. Both Mariam and I shriek and hold each other, backing away from Adam.
"I hate you Adam, you've changed!" I shake my head disappointedly. Adam bursts up laughing causing both of us to break into giggles. Mariam and I sit on the floor still holding each other, actually when we realise we haven't let go we laugh even harder.
"Now who were you calling cheesy?" Adam says and I hear his footsteps moving away.
"Where is he going?" I whisper to Mariam.
"To the fridge," she answers, "I don't know wh-"
"Aaaaaaah!" both of us scream as he showers us with the whole bottle of water in a swift movement. He laughs so hard and I hear him fall to the floor with a thud.
"Oh my God, you should've seen your faces!"
"Adam I will kill you seriously!" I hear Mariam hurrying in his direction.
"Wait don't kill him without me!" I yell. She takes my hand and we walk toward him.
"He looks scared of us, Lee," Mariam says giddily.
"Aww poor him," I play along. "Tickling fight!"
"Oh yeah!" Mariam cheers.
"Oh no!" Adam complains and I hear him move away. Mariam holds my hand as we run after him.