Twenty-two.

Twenty-two

[Adam]

A month passes with the same routine, and by routine–and for the first time ever–I don’t mean boredom or eventless days. I went out with Leen and Mariam once more, and it was pretty much as exciting as the first time. We chatted a few times on that group Mariam made as well. I had seven trips, and I could say it was an indescribable feeling to text Leen while being that far, it felt like I was talking to my wife, who’s waiting for me to come back, and who’s attaching me to Egypt.

It’s a Saturday today, and we’re all invited to Leen’s house. Aunt Laila called mom yesterday and she said it was probably time Leen and I talk more and start planning our wedding and coming life.

Things with Omar are still the same; we actually kind of avoid talking. Ahmed is getting better day after day, after too much praying, and spending time together with me, he is starting to know Reham wasn’t the one after all, and maybe she doesn’t deserve such grief.

Aya has started her exams, and she barely has any free time to even eat with us, I’m starting to miss her being around and annoying me. As for Mariam, she’s really satisfied with her job, although she complains about being tired to death, she really seems happy. Also she’s growing closer and closer to Leen each day, and they developed a quite strong friendship, she even got to know Leen’s best friend, Salam.

I’m starting to feel that Leen likes me a lot. The way she smiles at me and the way she talks, they all show what she wouldn’t have the courage to say. She’s still shy around me, extremely shy, but even the way she’s shy around me is different from that around anyone else.

And I, I admit I’m attached to her to the utmost. She’s on my mind wherever I go, and no matter what I’m doing or how busy I am. I can’t wait for those few times we’d text from time to time, although Mariam would still be there. And although I’ve always hated texting.

I don’t know if I should call the feelings I have towards her love. But if I still just like her, I may like her to the greatest extents.

We get ready and leave to their house. Aya couldn’t come with us anyway; she’s having an exam tomorrow. Uncle Aly opens for us and lets us in. He says Abed is not here because he’s studying with a friend; also he has an exam tomorrow. I really don’t miss school days.

Aunt Laila comes downstairs a few minutes later, followed by Jenin and Leen. They greet us and we all sit down. Omar and Uncle Aly keep talking about business stuff, while mom and Aunt Laila discuss some recipes and Jenin and Mariam join them. They are clearly trying to give Leen and me some space to talk.

“So,” I clear my throat. “How have you been lately?” I ask, as we haven’t talked for a week.

“Good, Alhamdulillah,” she says shyly. “What about you?”

“Exhausted, but fine Alhamdulillah,” I say and she smiles.

“You know Jenin’s wedding date is finally set?” she says with enthusiasm.

“Wow, mashallah! When is it?”

“Six months from now, in June inshallah,” she says. “First of June.”