One.

Dedicated to the person who knew about this story before anyone, and who was more excited about the idea than I was. She's more than just my best friend and more than a sister, add to that: she's the one who keeps me writing. If this story goes anywhere further inshallah, it's because of her after Allah.. 

Here's Emeralds finally, Tasneem <3

~~~

One.

[Leen]

“<3

   It’s a heart. He sent me a love heart. Without even

saying anything. Like a little secret.

   My eyes feel hot, but somehow I manage to stay

calm as I type my reply:

   Me too.”

Oh. My. God.

I don’t even remember how many times I’ve read this book, but all I know is me laying in bed now, under the rumpled blankets, with badly disheveled hair, reading I’ve Got Your Number again and smiling like a total idiot.

The door opens suddenly and Jenin–my older sister–comes in with a little frown on her face, “Do you even read other books?” she looks at the book in my hands then at me and seems like she’s tasted something sour.

“Don’t you know how to knock?” I say closing the book and sticking my tongue out at her. “I almost wet my pants.”

“Very inappropriate of a teacher,” she says throwing herself on her bed.

“My students like me this way,” I say proudly.

“With wet pants?” she looks confused.

I look at her with surprise, “You know what? Just shut up.”

You should shut up, miss.”

“I–” I’m interrupted by mom breaking in like policemen. “Why haven’t you slept yet, both of you?” she says.

Okay. The fact is that I’m twenty-two years old, Jenin is twenty-six years old, and the youngest of us, Abed, is twenty, and mom yet has to check if we got to sleep early everyday. Makes sense?

“I was just about to sleep,” I reply quickly. Jenin shoots me a you-liar look and my eyes widen like I’m the most innocent person ever, “What? I was really just going to sleep after finishing the book. Only a few lines were left.”

“I don’t wanna hear further talking.” Mom orders, “Get to sleep, now.”

“Okay,” I mumble.

“Okay.”

I turn off the bedside lamp, roll over and close my eyes, making myself comfortable. I smile at what I’ve been reading, thinking when would I have a love story of my own.

***

Staying up so late thinking about Mr. Right was obviously not the wisest thing to do when you have school at 8:00 the next morning. My phone keeps beeping announcing it’s 7:00 a.m. and I should be up right this instant.