Eight.

Updated for PasantEbrahimSoliman because she asked me to, and because she's been my fan for years now :D Plus being my best friend's sister, she's also my little friend. Thank you for giving me positive energy dear :* <3

~~~

Eight

[Adam]

It’s strange to worry about someone you don’t know, but it happens. I was waiting in cold sweat for her to wake up, and make sure she’s better now. And when she did, I left. I couldn’t just be there, I was relieved she woke up and there was no reason for me to stay.

I waited for Mariam in the car impatiently; I was dying to know what she talked to her about. And when she finally came out, she sat in the passenger’s seat and began telling me the whole conversation.

“Are you sure she’s not the one?” she winked.

“What do you mean?”

“Didn’t you see how you looked there?” she asked. “I swear if it’s been me, you’d be wearing the same expression. You almost couldn’t stand still.”

“I’m hungry let’s go eat somewhere,” I said changing the subject.

“I wanna eat sushi!” she yells cheerfully.

“Okay.”

***

I’m sitting now at home, remembering what happened yesterday, watching a soccer game and waiting for Mariam to come from school. I wouldn’t admit the reason to myself, but there’s no way out. I want to know if she saw Leen.

I finally hear the door being shut and I find myself jumping off the couch, I walk out of the living room and find Mariam, “Is Malek okay?” I ask.

“He is,” she says taking her hijab off. “And she is too.”

“Stop it, Mariam!” I frown. “I didn’t ask how she was.”

“Then why did you know who I’m talking about when I didn’t mention her name?”

“Because I know what you’re thinking.”

“I have good news for you anyways,” she says. “But first bring me a glass of cold water; it’s really boiling hot outside.”

I go to the kitchen and pour her a glass of water and return, “What’s the good news?”

“I’ve got her number!”

“What?” my jaw drops. “You’re not serious!”

“Then what would you say when you hear the rest . . .” she laughs.

“Which is . . .?” I ask impatiently.

“She’s got your number now,” she says looking at me closely to watch my expression.

I don’t know what I feel but maybe saying that it’s like the ceiling has collapsed on me would be an understatement. “Whose what?”

She laughs so hard she almost chokes, “Did you become deaf? I said: She. Has. Your. Number.”

“How’s that?” I ask plainly.

“She said her father wanted to thank you for what you’ve done and so she asked me if I could give her you number,” she says, “then I asked her to take hers.”