Twenty-five

Twenty-five

[Leen]

It's a Thursday evening, my favourite time of the week. I open up my laptop; it's been a while since I had time to enjoy a Kdrama. I decide to watch Boys Over Flowers for the third time maybe, and because winter has finally arrived, I'm well suited with the drama's atmosphere. All the time I'm watching Goo Jun Pyo take Jan Di to too many beautiful places, show her things that she'd never seen, and surprising her every time they go out, I can't help but think that Adam will be the same - obviously not as rich as Jun Pyo, but yeah. I don't think I'll ever come across someone as rich as Jun Pyo anyway.

I feel hungry after a while so I go downstairs to the kitchen and make myself a cheese sandwich. Deciding that 'cheese' sandwich is actually very boring, I add some ingredients to it. Well, that's the art of sandwiches. The only art I'm good at. I mince some tomatoes, spring onions, rosemary and a pinch of salt and black pepper. I toss the ingredients together, bring two toast slices, add two slices of cheddar cheese, some of the mixture, and some mozzarella, and put it in the oven with a huge smile on my face. The thought of Adam comes to my mind again. One day I'd be cooking for us-him and me. Maybe one day we'd be in our kitchen together, waiting for the cheese to melt in the oven. And the thought of it makes me smile to myself.

I am waiting. Waiting for the day Adam is going to be my Goo Jun Pyo from Boys Over Flowers, my Choi Hangul from Coffee Prince, my Jeon Jin Hoo from Personal taste. I'm waiting for the day Adam is going to be my real prince, and I don't know what is holding that back.

I am.

I am the one holding that back, and I don't even know my reasons anymore. We've known each other for long now, and we've been through a lot of situations that showed me some of what I need to see. Adam has always been the one taking steps closer, and making our 'couple' come to reality, and I've always been the one delaying everything. Like how the wedding is only depending on me now. On the date I would set. Because Adam was and is ready. But am I?

I don't know how would I know I'm finally ready, but is it enough to know that it's okay with me? That I'm still afraid but no more hesitant? I trust Adam, and I like him too much, so what now?

Abed comes in and shivers at the sudden warmth of the oven.

"Wow," he rubs his arms, "this is heaven."

"Are you coming from outside?" I ask taking out the sandwich from the oven.

"Yes, I was meeting some friends." he says, eyes fixed on the sandwich. "That looks delicious," he says.

"Don't even think about it," I say hiding the sandwich behind my back. "This is mine."

"Come on, Lee," he says approaching me. "I'm dying of hunger here."

I turn holding the sandwich when he attempts to take it from my hands. "Make yourself something, leave this!" My phone on the counter beeps with a message and I'm startled for a moment. A long enough moment that Abed swipes the sandwich and takes a bite already.

"Oh, heavenly," he smiles mischievously as he walks to the phone and glances at the screen quickly. "Thank you Adam," he adds. My face colours up in crimson and I act angry with Abed to hide my embarrassment.

"Get your butt out of here, Abed," I say with a fake frown. He pulls a face at me and leaves.

Leaves with my dear sandwich.

Fine, I'll make another one.

I look through the Whatsapp messages as I'm waiting for the new sandwiches to be done. Yes, I made extra sandwiches because I will not spend the entire night making food and have it stolen. Adam has sent a long message on that group, and curiosity is eating up my inner walls as Adam isn't the type of person who writes long messages. He barely texts anyone.