Sweet Nightmares

THIRD PERSON POV:

Octavia yawned as as she opened her eyes. The windows weren't covered by the curtains, so the sun light was blaring in. As Octavia sat up in her bed, she raised an eyebrow: she didn't hear the usual sounds of her parents screaming. It was usually that time.

Instead, Octavia lifted her head and smelled something heavenly; the smell of freshly cooked bacon and eggs. Octavia was nervous to leave her room because she didn't know what her parents were up to if they weren't arguing. Slowly, Octavia rose from her bed and took a few minutes to get ready for the day.

Octavia walked out of her room and began to make her way down the long hallway. She expected to have to dodge hurling flowerpots thrown by her mother, but Octavia made it down to the kitchen with no issues. Before she stepped into the room, she poked her head into the doorway, and what she saw shocked her: she saw her parents standing by each other by the stove, talking and laughing.

Now Octavia was terrified. She knew for a fact that this would never happen with her parents, so she was very skeptical about entering the room that smelled so good. Before she could walk away, she heard a voice call her.

"Octavia!" She heard her mothers voice, "good morning dear!" Octavia was shocked at her mother's gentle and warming tone; it was much different than her sharp and degrading pitch. Her father's arm was around her. Octavia looked at them weirdly: these aren't her parents. The adults that she lives with Absolutely hate each other, but Stolas and Stella were actually acting like they didn't mind being around each other.

"Good morning! You've woken up just in time, breakfast is ready!" Her father smiled at Octavia as he and his wife picked the plates of food up and brought them to the table. Octavia watched for a few more minutes before she decided to sit with them.

Her parents began to fill their plates with what has been prepared, but Stolas noticed Octavia wasn't moving. "Via?" He asked, "are you not going to eat?" Stella put her fork down and looked at her daughter with a smile, "It's delicious Octavia! You need to try some!"

Octavia was flabbergasted. She didn't expect her parents to notice something off about her.

"I-I'm just tired I guess," the girl mumbled, still very shocked. Her parents gave her gentle smiles, "It's okay dear! We'll clean up, you should go back to bed! We are up rather early!" Stella gleamed as she kissed Stolas on the cheek before getting up and picking her plate up and taking it to the sink. Stolas smiled at the girls as he patted Octavia's head before going to his wife. Octavia just stared as her parents smiled and just talked to each other. No screaming, no throwing things, no accusations of cheating, they were just talking.

Octavia just got up and slowly made it back up the hall to her room. As she undressed and slipped back into her pajamas, she crawled back into bed and layed on her back, looking up at the ceiling. Octavia, without noticing it, had a small smile on her face. This was the first time in years that her parents weren't trying to kill each other: and she was loving it.

"Maybe things will stay like this."

OCTAVIA'S POV:

My eyes shot open as I heard a loud crash coming from the kitchen. I quickly sat up and frantically looked around: my room was dark and messy. I could hear Mom and Dad down the hallway, and they didn't seem happy.

I started to breath heavily, confused. What happened? Why aren't they happy anymore? What changed?

Without bothering to change, I rushed up and ran down the hallway. Although, I had to stop midway so the giant flowerpot that was thrown at me wouldn't take my knees out. I quickly made it to the kitchen and saw my parents. My mother was yelling and pointing at my father, while he stood there seemingly trying to reassure her in some way.

"CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND YOU WITH THAT IMP IN BED! AND NOW I'M FUCKING PISSED!" She screamed at him.

"It was one time!" My father exclaimed, "I didn't even initiate it!"

I could feel tears well up in my eyes as their voices got louder. I turned around and bolted up to my room and slammed the door; I didn't care if they heard it. Tears were running down my face as I ran to my bed, curling up inside the sheets.

"Why didn't their happiness last?"