Sleepless Nights

THIRD PERSON POV:

Stolas lay awake on his back. His bed that usually felt heavenly to sleep in, felt stiff and uncomfortable beneath him. His eyes were wide open. He didn't know what was keeping him up.

The room felt cold. Stella had taken the majority of the blanket covering them, so Stolas only had his knees and feet covered. His arms were laying on his stomach. He squeezed his eyes closed as he took a deep breath before he began to sit up. As he sat up, he could feel his back aching. He groaned at the feeling.

He kicked the small amount of blanket off and swung his legs over the bed. He rubbed the back of his neck before standing up and quietly walking over to his closet and pulling his robe off one of the hangers. He slipped it on before he snuck out of the shared bedroom.

Stolas walked along the quiet hallway: the floor felt cold against the bottoms of his feet. He was going to make his way to the kitchen for a drink of water, but he stopped once he noticed one of the hallway doors cracked. It was the door to his daughter's room.

Stolas saw that through the crack, a light was on. It wasn't bright, more of a night light. His daughter was young and she often slept with a light. Stolas was about to continue his trip to the kitchen when he heard something coming from her room. Curious, he turned and poked his head through the door.

He saw Octavia wide awake, rummaging through her toy chest sitting at the foot of her bed. He tilted his head as he tapped against the door to get her attention. Octavia, a little startled by the noise, jumped and quickly turned her head to the door where Stolas stood.

"Via, what are you doing up at this hour?" Asked Stolas as he tiredly rubbed his eyes. The child looked a bit guilty, "I'm not tired," she said. Her father yawned and walked into her room and sat down on her bed, "Darling, it's much too late for you to be up; you need your rest," Stolas explained softly as Octavia waddled over to him. He smiled and picked her up before placing her on his lap.

"I was wanting to play!" Octavia whined, "I can't fall asleep!" Stolas yawned again as he rubbed her back, "If you're having trouble, you can always come into our room - I'd be more than happy to help get you back to sleep," Stolas told her in his groggy tone. Talking to his daughter about going to sleep was making him tired. Octavia then snapped her head toward him and looked at him with wide eyes, "Can we go to space!?" She suddenly asked, full of energy.

Stolas groaned, "Not tonight Darling, we both need our sleep," he calmly told her. She grumbled as she put her head against his chest. Stolas smiled at Octavia's sleepy figure, her energy now nonexistent. He leaned back against the headboard of her bed and closed his eyes, his grip on her tightening just a bit.

He could feel himself slowly beginning to go to sleep, holding his child in his arms.