Gabriella Sarmiento WilsonChicago, Illinois8:33pm

Chicago, Illinois
8:33pm

against my better judgement, i went to reid's show at the tin roof.

i know i shouldn't be here, but i can't help but relish in that old familiar feeling of watching him play on stage.

"hello, ladies and gentlemen! welcome to the tin roof, nashville's most-loved venue for live music. today, we have an exceptional guest. coming from los angeles, please help me welcome to the stage: reid ryder"

even though it's a small venue, the crowd goes wild.

i'm looking at the stage, waiting for reid to appear.

it feels as if i am still 20 years old, standing in the same spot, waiting for him to come out and smile at me.

i try to shake it off and remember how much has changed since then.

but all of that goes to waste when i see the lights hit his face, and i feel that clench in my chest.

my knees become wobbly.

my god. that sight never gets old

reid opens up with a song i've never heard before.

three years ago, when i married brian, i promised to stop listening to reid's new albums.

or any of his songs, for that matter.

not a bad tune

the crowd is singing along to every word. they look so happy i begin to feel myself smiling.

the song is slowing down, signaling its end, and i notice myself not wanting to end.

the players stop, and reid takes the microphone.

"hey, nashville. it's sure good to be back here. thanks so much for the incredible welcome home"

the crowd cheers loudly.

i know that this is my cue to leave, but a part of me is begging to stay.

"maybe just one more song"

i feel guilty for not sticking to my original plan, but the desire to stay is much stronger.

i find a seat in the crowd of people and sit down.