15

Gabriella Sarmiento WilsonNashville, Tennessee 1:18am

Nashville, Tennessee
1:18am

in a single moment, the world as i knew it crumbles and falls apart.

my grandfather, who raised me after my parents died in a car crash, had a heart attack while i was out having fun.

it's the middle of the night, and i am sitting in the hospital room while he rests, waiting to hear back from the nurses.

i can't believe this is happening. my life is a mess, and i can't lose you. i can't

since i've gotten that dreadful call from sue, i haven't been able to eat or sleep.

i am staring out the hospital window when i hear a knock on the door.

"can i come in?"

"sue, hi. yes, of course. please come in"

sue walks in, looking as sleep-deprived as me.

she stands next to my grandfather, puts a hand on his cheek and smiles.

"gabriella, there's something i have to tell you. your grandfather and i have kept this a secret from you for awhile now, but i think it's time that you know"

just then, my phone rings.

i look down at my screen. it's brian calling.

i have been ignoring his calls for the past few days. but if i answer, i may not get another chance to find out what she has to tell me. i need to know

i click "ignore" and put my phone back into my purse.

"sorry about that. brian's been calling"

"he knows. i told him yesterday"

"oh. i was going to tell him soon; it's just that i've been distracted and—"

"gabriella, we need to talk"

i feel some hesitancy rise in my chest.

what information could sue have that i don't?

"is it about the business? i'm sure grandpa has the plan for the studio all sorted out, we were just discussing it the other day, and i'm going to—"

"gabriella"

she cuts me off.

"you're grandfather and i... we're in love. we have been keeping our relationship from you for over a decade"