18

Gabriella Sarmiento WilsonNashville, Tennessee5:49pm

Nashville, Tennessee
5:49pm

i'm on my living room floor half-naked with reid when my husband walks through the door.

i lay there stunned, unable to speak.

brian asks me again.

"gabriella? please tell me what's going on here?!"

"you—you're home early"

it's the only thing i manage to squeak out in my fearful state.

"that's all you can say right now? i'm home early?"

"i think i should go"

reid stands up and walks toward the front door. as he passes by brian, the two men stare at each other long and hard.

i feel the anxiety rising in my chest. i knew it was only a matter of time before he found out.

if only i had been responsible and told brian before he had to find out like this.

"brian—"

"you're cheating on me? with your ex-boyfriend?"

"i can explain"

"i thought you two were just colleagues. long time friends. that was all a load of bullshit, wasn't it?"

i have no words.

brian is right. he knew i was lying all along.

"i'm sorry i lied to you. i feel awful about everything. i wanted to talk about it with you but—"

"this whole time i was away, i thought you were taking some time to think about me and us. i thought that when i came home, we would talk about how we would fix our marriage. but instead, you were sleeping with your ex-boyfriend"

those words hit me hard.

i knew what i was doing is terrible, but when he says it, it sounds a whole lot worse.

"brian, i know i sound like the worst person in the world. but please, let me try and explain"

brian looks at me with dark eyes.

"i don't care to hear your excuses. you broke a vow. i did nothing to deserve this. all i have done is try and love you"

"brian, please"