Chapter six

Matteo’s p.o.v

“Si mama, si!” I said into my phone. It was my mother, she was calling to make sure everything was ok and that I have the grocery list.

“Make sure you get almond milk, you know how Mia gets if she has regular milk.” She said, sounded like if she was in a haste.

My mom is a busy body which makes sense because we are a big family. It was me, my mom, my dad and three little sisters: Isabel, Mia and Jaimee. It’s always loud at my house.

“Yes mom I know, now I have to go before I get fired.” I said, trying to get her off the phone. “Te quiero mama.”

At that time I was a work, I loved my job. I worked as a waiter at this diner called Dennys. It was a sixties theme diner and we had to wear this ridiculous uniform, it was a pink and white strip apron and a sailors hat.

Some people thought it was cute but I thought It was horrible, the pay wasn’t much but I loved it regardless.
Hanging up the phone I walked back inside and found myself in the kitchen. Just then Charlie walked up to me.

“Took you long enough!” He shouted over all the bustle. It was a busy night at the diner.

“Yea um sorry,  you know how my mom is.” I said apologetically. I made him cover my table while I talked on the phone.

“Yeah whatever dude.” He said rolling his eyes but then he smiled wickedly “You can make it up to me by taking my next table. It’s the booth to the back corner.”

Ugh. The couple’s lounge. I hated serving there, they never pay attention to what you’re saying or they’re always busy making out or something.

I hesitated for a second “Fine.” I said picking up a notepad and a pen “Only because you covered for me.” I said to Charlie walking away.

Making my way to the booth, I tried not to bump into any of the other waiters but then I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw who I was going to be serving.

It was her, Tamera sitting in the booth looking bored out of her mind, her eyes trained on the menu in her hand.
‘Oh my gosh, she can’t see me in this uniform she’ll think I’m a dork. I can’t serve that table.’ I thought to myself frantically.

Just as I was about to turn around, my eyes fell upon the guy sitting across from her.

Her boyfriend?

Of course she'd have a boyfriend, she’s a pretty girl. She probably forgot I existed.

I’m such an idiot.

I pulled myself together and put the brightest smile on my face that I could muster and walked up to the table.
“Hi I’m Ma-" my words were cut of by a rude grunt.

“Took you long enough, I was just about to call the manager.” The guy said.

‘Karen much.’ I internally rolled my eyes.

“I’m sorry to keep waiting, it’s a little busy tonight.” I put on the best smile I could. “What would you like to order?” I asked in the most welcoming tone.

The guy scuffed “Whatever, I’ll have two slices of the cheese pizza and a diet coke and for her…” he said pointing at Tamera “She'll have a salad and water.”

Tamera rolled her eye “ No she will not.” she said in a sassy manner. She looked up back at me with a smile and said “I’ll have a cheese burger with fries and a vanilla milkshake, thanks.”

“Okay, I’ll have that coming right up.” I said.

As soon as I walked away my face fell. Gosh I hate rude customers, they make things harder than it actually has to be. I entered the kitchen and gave the cook the order.

I saw Charlie sitting on a counter, eating string cheese out of a bag.
“Well that’s unsanitary.” I said walking over to him.

“Shut up, its not my fault I have diabetes.” He said, his mouth stuffed with cheese.

I rolled my eyes “You always use that as a excuse.” I said snatching the bag out of his hand and stuffing cheese into my mouth.

“So what’s the case, are they staring into each other’s eyes not even realizing you’re there or are they a couple seconds from making a baby?” He asked referring to the table I just went to.

“Neither, the guy is a jerk though.” I said putting the bag cheese down, washing my hands and getting their drinks ready.

“Really? Did you look at his girl too funny?”  His eyes narrowed as he asked the question.

I rolled my eyes “No I didn’t, when have you ever known me to look at someone funny?” I asked pouring the soda into the glass.

Charlie shrugged “You always stare at Tamera. So I won't be surprised.”

At that moment I discovered you can chock on air. I coughed profusely, covering my mouth with my fist.

“Excuse me?” I asked in between coughs.

“I know about your little crush.” He said accusingly.

Crush? I do not have a crush on Tamera. I  mean sure, I do stare at her in the hallway or in history class and I do think she is the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen. But I won't take it as far as having a crush. I don’t even know her like that.

“I don’t have a crush.” I said
continuing to make the milkshake.

“I think you’re in denial dude.” Was the last thing Charlie said to me before he picked up a notepad and pen and walked out the door.

I shook my head and finish up the drinks. When I was finished I put them on a tray  and walked into the dining area.
“Alright here are your drinks.” I said putting the drink unto the table “ a diet coke and a vanilla milkshake.”

“Thanks Matteo.” My head whipped in the direction of the soft, warm voice.

 At that moment I was dumbfounded. She remembered my name, she remembered me.

I, like the idiot I am, just stood there and stared at her, my mouth agape and eyes wide, I probably looked like a freak. She just drank her milkshake.
Just then I heard shattering of a glass I turned to see the guy looking down at the mess.

“Opps!” he said in a fake innocent manner. “You don’t mind getting me another glass, would you?” he asked.

I don’t know if he was doing for spite or some kind of dominance thing, but it was really pissing me off.

But regardless I smiled for the sake of my job “I’ll get that to you right away sir.” I said walking away.

I really wanted to strangle his smug looking face and throw him out of the diner.

But I don’t think anything can ruin my mood. She remembered my name.