Prologue

we're only gettin' older, baby

SOFIA's POV : 

Years passed by so quickly and here I am, getting ready for mom and dad's tenth anniversary ball. It's been ten years since my mother got re-married with Enchanica's king. It's been ten years since I was officially declared as Enchancia's youngest princess. It's been ten years since I started living here in the castle. So much changed in these ten years that I can't seem to recognize myself anymore. 

I started off as just another random village girl and now I'm a princess. Things were hard, well they still are, but atleast I'm able to keep up with everything. 

"You're ready, your majesty." Violette broke my train of thoughts as she bowed at me.

"Thanks, Violette." I smiled at her and she left.

I looked at myself in the mirror. A strand of hair was out of the crown braid. I reached my hand out to tuck it in and my sister barged in. 

"Oh my god. Sofia you're looking gorgeous!" Amber gushed.

I smiled at her and said, "Thanks, Amber. You're looking great too." 

She was wearing a dark green coloured gown with matching heels. She's been a fashionista since the start. She was about to say something when our brother barged in.

God, what's up with these twins barging in my room all the time?

"Everyone is searching for you both. Our names will be announced soon. We need to go to the ballroom quick!" Noticing the urgency in James's voice, Amber grabbed my hand and we three ran towards the huge ballroom. In the midst of the running, James started muttering about how much time girls take to get ready.

Classic James. 

As soon as we reached, we were greeted by our parents who looked totally lovesick. They didn't even notice our presence beside them

Wow.

They're still so whipped for each other, even after ten years.

The loud booming voice of the announcer cut out my thoughts as he announced our names and the huge doors leading to the ballroom opened. 

Even after all these years, I'm still very nervous of royal balls. Sensing my anxiety, Amber held my hand and looked at me. 

That's her way of saying "you'll be okay" to me. She's been doing this since years now. 

We stepped in and everyone greeted us as we greeted them in return. Bows and curtsies were shared amongst all. 

Baileywhick stepped onto the stage and said, "Kings and Queens. Princes and Princesses. Ladies and gentlemen. Tonight we're here to celebrate King Roland II and Queen Miranda's ten years of marriage. This ball is also organised in the honour of Queen Miranda Kenneth Willow and Princess Sofia Balkthazar's ten years into royalty. We're glad to have you all here." 

Everyone started applauding as I felt stares on me and my parents. The music started, indicating the time for mom and dad's waltz. 

Soon, married couples joined on in the waltz. After a few minutes, young engaged couples were also seen dancing gracefully. Amber joined Desmond and James joined Vivian. I sat back on a chair.

Amber and James both got betrothed last year when they turned 18. Well, the betrothals turned out good for them. James had a mega crush on Vivian since our RPA days. Vivian too, had a crush on him.  Amber wasn't exactly happy with the idea of getting married to Desmond, but one dinner with Des was all that took to make her a lovesick puppy. And Des was simply fascinated by Amber. 

I sat on a chair while watching my siblings dance with their fiancés as I let realization hit me. 

I turned 18 last week, which means I'll be betrothed to a prince very soon.

This is an extremely strict law of the royalty - you'll be engaged to a royal after you turn 18 and then you'll get married to your fiancé at 25. Whether you like it, or not. No one cares about your opinion in this. 

James and Amber's betrothal was already decided when they were 17, it got official when they turned 18. 

The talks about my betrothal too have been going on since last year. I've frequently heard mom and dad talking about which prince will suit me. Even the media outlets have been reporting on this. 

Talks about my engagement have heated up since my birthday last week. I've been getting associated with every bachelor prince of this Realm. Whenever I go to my dad's study, I see scrolls about kingdoms asking my hand in marriage and documents about princes with their Wikiroyal pages.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the idea of getting betrothed to a random stranger, but, sadly, I can't do anything regarding this. It's a law. 

"Sofia, let's dance." A chirpy, feminine voice invaded my thoughts. I looked up to see Cleo smiling at me.

After a lot of years, me and Cleo have gotten closer. She too, just like me, is a bachelor. Though Amber told me that her parents have plans to engage her with one of the princes of Freswuan.

I smiled back at her and we both made our way towards people who were dancing like there's no tomorrow. Married royals, engaged royals and now even the single royals were dancing.

The very few bachelors were going around in circles and dancing randomly with the leftover unengaged teenagers. Me and Cleo joined in the whole circle dance thingy. This was how I danced at the village festivals back when I was still there.

We kept going around in rounds. I danced with several princes and heck, even princesses.

Watch the rumors of me being a part of LGBT community pop up tomorrow.

"See you later, Sof!" Zandar smiled at me and went away with in the circle, finding a new partner. 

I smiled back at him. Laughing, I twirled around and came face-to-face with someone I wasn't exactly planning to meet right now.

Prince Hugo. The most stuck-up prince in the history of royals. 

Fuck my life. 

{REVISED}