2

i'm the problem, it's me

SOFIA's POV : 

I laid down on my cozy bed, exhausted with the whole ball scenario today. I closed my eyes, wanting to get some sleep but the Universe doesn't like me sleeping.

As soon as I closed my eyes, images of the ball flashed in front of my eyes. 

Particularly Hugo.

How his hands had a firm, rough yet warm hold on my waist and just how hard and muscular his chest felt under my hands. 

Jesus.

I'm glad that he didn't see me red like a tomato. God, I should've been confident, not nervous.

I kept looking at his damned shoes just so he couldn't see my red coloured cheeks. To say that was embarrassing would be an understatement.

A knock interrupted my thoughts and I asked.

"Who is it?" 

"Princess Sofia, the King and the Queen have asked for your presence in the His Majesty's study." Baileywhick's voice disturbed my silence.

I sighed and stood up while replying, "Okay. Be there in a minute."

What do my parents want from me at midnight after the ball? What was so important that they couldn't discuss in the morning?

"You called me?" I asked my parents as soon as I entered the study, not bothering to knock the door. The members of the royal family weren't required to knock on the King's study's door.

"Yes, Sofia. We have some important matters to discuss with you." Dad replied.

Something in his voice made me realize that this something is serious. Like very, very serious.

I took a seat and said, "What is it?"

My parents shared a look with each other and my mom began, "Sofia, you do know that you're 18 now, right?"

I nodded as I felt a knot forming in my gut.

I knew where this conversation was going and I didn't like it one bit.

"You're growing older now. You'll be graduating from academy this year. After that, you'll be handling the kingdom. We can't stay with you and your siblings forever, Sofia. Me and Rollie both know that you're brave, strong and independent. But later in life, you'll need someone to be your shoulder to lean on. Someone whom you'll have a loving family with. Someone who'll rule beside you. Someone who will give you the best of everything. You'll need a significant other in your life." Mom said slowly, as if her words might break me apart.

I sighed, knowing that I can't avoid this anyway.

"No need to beat around the bush, mom. Who is it?" I asked.

Dad cleared his throat and my mom smiled sadly at me.

It's okay, Sofia. It's your job as a princess.

"I know you don't like this, Princess Sofia. But these are rules. We just can't change them." Dad said firmly and authoritatively. 

Him calling me by the title made me realise that we really were onto the formal royal talks used during agreements.

My marriage is an agreement. Not a choice. Not an option. Not a decision.

But I still sensed the sympathy he held in his voice. He's informing me about my betrothal as a king. But he's feeling sorry for me as a father, knowing very well that I never asked for this life of royalty.