4

i swear i'm not a saint

SOFIA's POV :

Awkward.

It is the perfect word to describe the scenario of the dining table. At least for me.

Mom and I still haven't talked about the whole engagement fiasco and I bet my Harry Potter collection that she is drowning in guilt for absolutely no reason. Dad has been pretty chill about everything and is laughing wholeheartedly with King Garrick. Mom too has been talking to Queen Sinthia like they were long lost best friends.

What about us youngsters?

Amber is enthusiastic about this engagement. She's been talking to Hugo's brother Axel happily since the breakfast started. They've been best friends since 3 years now and she even helped Axel to sort things out with his fiancée Princess Zara last year. The two are even closer than me and James and have been constantly gushing about being an indirect part of each other's families.

James is actively engaging in Axel and Amber's conversation. He didn't really have any reaction to the news. He was just happy that he'll get free trips to Menquez and eat their food without blowing up all his money on Menquezian restaurants.

And what about Hugo and me?

We haven't spoken even a single word to each other. Hugo hasn't uttered a single word since he came here and is sitting with a blank expression.

Has he taken a vow of silence or something?

At this point, I'm convinced that I'll get married to a robot.

I don't blame him for his silence though. We all know that this engagement is low-key forced yet everyone is gossiping happily as if it is some love marriage.

Judging the look on his face, he's been forced into this just like me.

We finished eating and a voice broke my train of thoughts. "I think we should let Hugo and Princess Sofia spend some time alone while we get into the diplomatic talks." Queen Sinthia spoke, emphasizing the word 'alone'.

My eyes widened in panic as my parents and King Garrick nodded.

Alone? With him? Over my dead body.

Before I could 'gracefully' protest, Hugo spoke up, finally breaking his vow of silence, "We have a lot of time to hangout alone, Mom. I think we should be involved in the diplomatic matters too."

He looked like he was about to throw up the bacon and vanilla ice-cream he just ate.

"The diplomatic matters aren't as important as getting to know your fiancée, Hugo." The Queen said with a stern gaze.

She looks like she will kill Hugo if he dares to disobey.

Geez. Scary.

He nodded and murmured a low, ''Yes, mother''.

"Sofia, you can take Prince Hugo to your room and talk there." It was Dad who spoke up this time, though he was way more gentler than the Queen.

I nodded and left the dining room with Hugo. On our way out of the dining room I heard Hugo groan as James said, "Can I get more chicken in the throne room, please?" with food still stuffed in his mouth.

I could almost hear Amber roll her eyes and whisper 'gross' under her breath.

Our 'journey' to my room was silent, with the only sound audible being our breaths and my wild heart racing faster than it should.