Chapter 3: Deal

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Haley. Happy birthday to you!" a familiar voice sang.

"Get up and enjoy your day!" he said. And by "he", you know who that is. My one and only brother, Jaden.

Today's the day. It's my birthday. I'm 18, sad, broken and lonely. 

Cheer up, Hale! Forget that. Have fun! It's your birthday!

"Thanks, bro!" I replied.

"Are you already okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. Why not?" I lied.

I promise to myself not to mention any of the things related to what happened yesterday.

"My baby sister's already 18!" he fakely cried

"I'm not a baby."

"You are." He insisted.

"I'm not!" I disagreed with a childish tone.

"See?"

I stuck out a tongue at him in return.

"Come on. Let's go downstairs." He said.

As I came down, someone shouted.

"Happy Birthday, my baby!" I just said I'm not a baby.

"Mum!!" I shouted and hugged her. "I thought you got work today."

"You know I'll always ditch work for my beloved darlings." She replied.

"Aw. Thanks Mum! I love you."

"I love you too, dear."

Even though Mum always has work, she will always do her best to be there for us. It's really wonderful to be with her, but sometimes I wonder, what would happen if I'm with Dad instead?

"Take a bath you two. We're going to celebrate our princess's birthday." Mum commanded.

After taking a bath, I decided to wear the dress mum gave me. It's pretty simple, but it's elegant. I really don't like wearing dress. I only got three and I only wear it on special occasions. Well, it's my special day today.

"I'm ready!" I said.

"Wow, you look wonderful, my daughter!" Mum complimented.

"Thanks, mum." I replied.

"I can't believe you're 18! It's like yesterday, you're still in your diaper and now, you're a lovely lady. You grow up so fast."

"I can't believe it either."

Mum noticed the absence of Jaden and changed the topic.

"Where's your brother?"

"He's still in his room." I answered.

"Son, hurry up!" she shouted.

"Jaden! I'm hungry! Hurry!" I added.

"I'm coming!" He shouted back.

"Mum," I started. I want to ask her about Dad. I'm 18 now, I should know a thing or two about him.

"Yes?"

"About..." I trailed off. I don't know what to say. What if she gets mad?

"About what, dear?"

"Uh...where...are we going today?" I can't tell her! Maybe, some other time.

"Wherever you want too." She answered and smiled.

"I'm here!" Jaden shouted.

"Great. Let's go."