Chapter 18: Because of You

Waking up and having a fever is one of the worsts. I already took paracetamol and hopefully, later, it'll be gone.

"Good morning." Connor greeted.

I nodded in return.

"You okay?" he asked. "You look a little pale."

"I'm okay." I answered with a soft voice.

He touched my forehead and checked if I have a fever. "You're sick. You can't attend school."

"I have to." I replied with a weak voice.

"Stay." He demanded. "You have a fever!"

"No. I'll feel better later."

He shook his head. "Fine. Let me take you to your school."

Connor sounds like Mom, but I'm glad to have a concerned brother.

"Don't forget to take your medicine." he reminded.

"Yes, sir." I replied and exited his car.

"Careful." I felt dizzy and lost my balance. Fortunately, Connor got a grip of me before I fell. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah."

"Haley, you don't have to force yourself if you can't."

"I'm fine, Con."

He sighed. "Call me if you need anything. Take care, okay,"

I nodded and he pat my head. I love it when my brothers do that.

"See you later."

I don't know why but classes pass by so slow and I almost fall asleep in one subject. Lunch came and Toby asked me how I'm feeling and unexpectedly, I received a text from Riley.

From: Ri

Are you okay? How are you feeling?

Is he asking because he's sick too or because Connor told him? It's been a week since the thing with him and we're still ignoring each other. I'll just pretend I didn't received that.

Our last class is PE and we're doing track and field. Because of my stupidity, I forgot to take my medicine. Luckily, I still have enough energy to run.

"Are you sure you got this?" my best friend asked. "Don't tire yourself out, Hale."

"I'll be okay."

I appreciate that people are concerned but I don't want them to check up on me every time. Our teacher made us run 5 laps and I'm exhausted! Once I get home, I'll probably fall asleep on the couch or maybe on the floor.

"You should go home and get some rest already, Haley." Vanessa said before leaving. "You need to get well soon. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay. Bye, Van."

Before going home, I went to my locker to get some books. It's pretty late and only a few students are still in here.

"Transferee!" a female voice shouted.

I ignored her and continued walking.

"Hey, nerd, why are you ignoring me?" Melissa said.

"Leave me alone."

"That's something we can't do and you can't too." She stated. "We already warned you to leave our boys alone. Now you got another one?!"

"What are you talking about?"