Riddles Are Our Only Answers

The sun had set hours ago; the moon had taken its place and Elena was doing homework that she pushed off till the last minute. Groaning, El pushed the chemistry book away and began to stretch her arms. She placed her feet on the carpet and began tip-toeing out of the bedroom to get some water from the kitchen.

Pulling a glass from the cabinet she then brought it to the fridges waterspout, when the hairs on her neck stood up. El's brows furrowed. Slowly feeling her neck with her free hand, head shifted slightly when she felt a breeze go past.

Not wanting to notify the intruder that the witch had caught them. El took a sip of her water then gently placed it on the counter. "Mot-" she began to say but was caught off when she was slammed against the wall of the kitchen. Elena's sight took a second to come back because of the impact, but what she saw was something that could only be described as Jamie Parker's worst nightmare. "Mikael?"

Suddenly feeling the Original squeezing her neck, he spoke. "Hello Doppelganger."

"But I killed you! You burned!" El wheezed out. Any magical instinct was thrown out of the widow when she saw him.

Mikael leaned forward to where their noses almost touched. "You did." He spat. "Let me return the favor."

"Mikael?"

"Hello Doppelganger."

"But I killed you! You burned!"

"You did. Let me return the favor."

"You did. "Let me return the favor."

"You did. Let me return the favor."

"YOU DID. LET ME RETURN THE FAVOR!"

"RETURN THE FAVOR!"

"RETURN THE FAVOR!"

"THE FAVOR!"

"THE FAVOR!"

"THE FAVOR!

"FAVOR!"

Chest lurching forward, El woke up with a gasp. Once again clutching the fabric of her shirt where her heart would be. Her breath was heavy as she searched the room for any threats. 

Realizing there was nothing there that could hurt her, the witch forced herself to relax. Leaning over, she turned on the bedside light, illuminating the room with a soft orange glow.

The same damn nightmare, over and over again. It was getting ridiculous! El thought to herself as she laid her head on the head board, looking up at the ceiling fan that was always on. She didn't even bother checking the time, already knowing it was still early judging by the darkness that still littered the outdoors.

Sighing, she squeezed her eyes shut. She hasn't gotten a full night's sleep in weeks, it was getting on her nerves and it became apparent in her magic. While her magic has grown in power exponentially since Tessa had given it to her as a gift that seemed like a lifetime ago, it was becoming very evident that her hold on it was depleting.

Not wanting to think about her insomnia any longer, she opened her eyes and scooted out of bed and changed into some jeans and a random sweatshirt. Grabbing one of her many knives that was doused in vervain, she placed it into the waistline of her pants. Throwing on some socks and shoes, she placed her phone in her pocket and walked out of her room and down the stairs.