Calm Before The Storm

It’s been two months since the body swap, and Elena was thriving. She was getting stronger with her magic, was becoming proficient in her boxing, making money, researching every supernatural creature she could think of, and going on runs/hikes in the woods with her telepathic dog, Dasher. 

The calm before the storm, if you will.

The only thing she has yet to do, is tell her family of the troubles that they will all face in a month. But, how do you tell the people that have known your body since the day you were born that the creatures that hide under your bed are real? Proof, she assumed. How is she going to get that?

These thoughts plagued her mind as she hit the newly purchased punching bag in her garage. Getting into a rhythm of the four basic punches. Jab, cross, weave, uppercut. Over and over again. Knowing she was going to need it to protect herself. She can’t always rely on her magic. In the words of a dickish father, “Magic can only fight half your battles.”

While the new doppleganger was too busy punching her ‘opponent’, Dasher’s head shot up. Smelling something that wasn’t normal to the area. “Mama, something new.”

Her punching ceased, breath ragged as she looked around. “What is it?”

“Bad, mama. Bad.” Dasher growled, standing in front of his mother. Looking at the street.

Elena slowly walked out of the garage, onto the driveway. Picking up one of the many vervain daggers she bought for this occasion. Even if it wasn’t a vampire, a knife would definitely hurt someone. But, she doubted it was a normal person. After all. ‘Nothing ever happens in Mystic Falls.’ 

“Dasher, stay here.” Elena muttered.

“Mama, no!”

She put her hand in a downwards motion, indicating for him to stay put. “I said stay.” Dasher whimpered, but stayed as Elena walked farther out. Glancing up and down the street, trying to find anything out of the ordinary. “If someone is there and they have less than honorable intentions, I will stick my knife in your eye.” She spoke clearly, but only loud enough to see if a vampire could hear her.

One second.

Two seconds.

Three seconds.

Nothing.

Just the sound of the wind rustling the leaves on the many trees that littered the street. Elena blew out a breath, before turning around back into the garage. Thinking that whoever was there, had left. 

She checked the time after guzzling down water, seeing she had two hours before she needed to head to work. “Dasher, come.” She pushed open the door for her puppy to walk in the house as she watched her garage door close. She then headed inside to shower and to clean herself up.

What she didn’t realize is that a certain vampire was watching her. One that saved her from the car crash over Wickery Bridge two months ago. Stefan Salvatore.

----------

Were getting close to the start of canon. Honestly can't wait.

-D.A