Magic 101

Elena was focusing on a candle trying to set it aflame. She could feel the sweat drip down her brow from the force of magic that wouldn’t leave the surface. “Light, dammit.” She muttered to herself.

When nothing happened, her frustration grew to the point where she swiped at the candle. Watching it fall to the ground.

“You’re letting your frustrations get to you, my little warrior.” Qetsiyah told her apprentice. “Let the magic you harbor flow.”

“Right, obviously.” The teenager scoffed. “In case you don’t remember, Tessa. I lived my entire life not having magic. It’s kinda hard to, ‘let the magic you harbor flow.’” She used quotation marks.

Qetsiyah was not pleased with the response. “I am well aware of the situation I have encased you in, but if you want to learn to protect yourself, you must start at the very beginning.” She pointed towards the candle. “Again.”

A tired sigh left the bodysnatcher, feeling like she was back at the table learning math with her dad leaning over her shoulder. Elena picked up the candle, setting back on the table, sitting herself down. Square her shoulders, lifting up her hand, blocking out everything to only focus on her breathing.

In and out. In and out. She repeated, feeling the magic swell up inside her bones. To her it felt like an electrical current, trying to find the nearest plug to release the energy it had stored. It was intoxicating to feel the rush, and she bet if would feel even more so when the flame would light.

Elena closed her eyes, concentrating on the campfires she would sit by and eat s’mores, to the heat that danced across her skin during Christmas mornings from the fireplace, to even the hatred she felt towards Mikael and how he treated his children. 

“Well done, my little warrior.”

Her eyes snapped open from the praise to see, she had indeed set the wik of the candle aflame. 

A wide smile blossomed across the apprentices face. Even though she knew magic was going to be harder than she thought. She was ecstatic that she’d finally get the adventure she wanted.