twenty-seven

"I can't believe that they're really back in town," Acacia stated sounding disappointed

"I can't believe it either," Delano replied while he let out a deep sigh.

"They should've stayed gone for a little while longer," he added.

Acacia and Delano begrudgingly trekked through the gravel covered front yard of their childhood home. The three story modern townhouse brought back a lot of memories; both good and bad.

Even though the two siblings lived overseas majority of their childhood their parents decided to move back home, so they could start middle- and high school in New York.

Shawn and Nichelle were back in town after moving overseas a year prior. They'd invited their children over for brunch. Although if you would ask them they were practically summoned to come over to the house.

The two oldest Thornton siblings had a contentious relationship with their parents and would rather avoid them unless there was no other option, just like today.

When they arrived their mother Nichelle was very excited to see them and gave each one of them a tight hug. Willow was already present at the premises, opting to go over there earlier in the day.

Acacia inherited her tall stature from both parents. Nichelle stood at five nine. She had high cheekbones, full lips, almond shaped dark brown orbs, caramel skin and wore her pitch black hair in shoulder length curls. Her hair was always coiffed to perfection and she was always dressed to impress.

The two siblings were engaged in conversation with their mother; letting her all about what they had been up to in the past couple of months. It didn't take long for their father to emerge. He went out to run some last minute errands. Shawn shifted the atmosphere in the room immediately. Everyone sat up straight subconsciously and made sure that they were on point.

Shawn was an imposing figure standing at six feet and two inches. Even though he was in his late fifties he had an athletic build; he made sure to stay in shape. The patriarch of the family sported a low cut and a salt and pepper colored beard. As far as looks were concerned, Delano was his spitting image.

Willow ran over to their dad and gave him a hug.

"Daddyyy, you're back," she called out enthusiastically. Shawn kissed her on the forehead and hugged her back tightly.

Willow was the only sibling who evoked a semblance of emotion from him. She had him wrapped around her fingers. Shawn felt like his two oldest were supposed to set a good example for their younger sibling, so he was much more demanding when it came to them.