Who Is That

Jacob was your boyfriend of three years. You guys started dating your junior year of high school and have been together ever since. He was a sweet guy most of the time and he treated you pretty well but there was something missing. Passion. There was no passion, no heat.

You loved him, you thought. And you think he loved you but was it love? Or just a teenage fling. Now that you were 19 and doing the adult thing it felt different. Walking through the halls of Hawkins high and sharing secret glances or having heated make out sessions in the hall closet was exciting. It was fun. But now it all felt mediocre.

Jacob did nothing but party and go to school. You had a full time job and spent all your extra time taking care of your five year old brother, Johnny. Your mom was a drug head who was rarely around so you had taken on the role of his mother. It was a stressful job for someone so young but you'd been doing it for years now and didn't think twice about it.

Jacob never quite understood that. He had the perfect little suburban family. He didn't understand trauma. He didn't understand the mental state you had sometimes. He didn't understand that you had to fight for basic survival while he had everything handed to him. He tried to be understanding but he was irritated when you had to cancel on him or when you were just too tired to do anything 'fun'.

So tonight you had promised to go to a party with him. Your best friend had promised to keep Johnny for you. You didn't really want to go but you felt like you owed it to Jacob. It had been a month since you'd been anywhere together. So you got dressed and plastered a smile on your face.

You heard a knock at the door and headed that way. "Hi Robin!" Johnny said excitedly. "Johnny, I told you. You cannot open the door without me. Ever." you said sternly. "I'm sorry, I forgot," he shrugged his shoulders and took off running. "You're gonna be the death of me, kid." you yelled to him over your shoulder as you grabbed Robin, bringing her in for a hug.

"You excited for tonight?" she said squeezing you tightly. You looked at her scrunching up your face. "Oh, come on. It'll be good for you. You deserve a break! Go have fun, get drunk. Do something crazy!" she said throwing her hands up dramatically. "Yeah, cause that sounds like me." you giggled. "Thanks for keeping him, Robin. I owe you one." you said grabbing your keys.

"We're gonna have so much fun Johnny boy, aren't we?" she said running after him. "I'm thinking ice cream sundaes for dinner." "Robin.." you started. "Okay, fine. I'll throw in a green bean." she said giving you a thumbs up. You laughed at her and shook your head. "Go! I've got this. I love you, have fun babe." She pushed you out the door. "Love you both!" you said as the door slammed in your face.

You hopped in your car and turned up the radio. Fun. Let's go have some fun. You stopped at the gas station and grabbed a pack of smokes. You lit a cigarette inhaling deeply. Ahhh. It had been a while since you had indulged. Jacob hated when you smoked.

You pulled into his driveway, he was waiting on the porch. "Hey, babe," he said sliding into the passenger seat. He leaned over to kiss your cheek. He didn't immediately mention the cigarette which surprised you. You drove for a few minutes towards Tommy's house. "I thought you quit," he made a face at your cigarette. There it is. "Just trying to have some fun tonight," you responded, already a little irritated.

He reached over and grabbed your thigh. "Maybe we could have some fun tonight." he said giving your thigh a squeeze. Ugh. "Yeah, maybe." you said glancing over at him. He took his hand off your leg and groaned. "Just forget it." he grumbled. "I didn't say no, Jacob. I just don't know if I'm in the mood." you said softly. "You're never in the mood." he said as you pulled up to the party.

Jacob got out of the car and walked over to one of his buddies. You saw a guy leaned against a Camaro smoking a cigarette. He had an open leather jacket on with his shirt unbuttoned underneath. His chiseled body on display. Your eyes lingered on his chest far too long. Fuck. You had felt nothing when Jacob touched you in the car a minute ago. But one glance at this man and you were tingling in places you shouldn't be. Who is that?

He saw you staring at gave you a big grin. You turned away quickly and walked over towards the party. You found Jacob with a beer in his hand and grabbed it downing it quickly. "Jesus, y/n. Slow down," he said giving you a sideways glance. "Sure thing, dad." you said patting him on the shoulder and going to grab another beer.