What's the Hype?

It had been one week since you had given Billy your number. You hadn't heard anything back. You tried not to dwell on the situation but you couldn't stop thinking about that night. The way he had pleased you.

You had about 20 voicemails from Jacob apologizing for the things he had said. You didn't return his calls. You felt like he finally said what he'd been wanting to say and you weren't sure what to do about it. You were pissed but more than anything, you were hurt.

You got Johnny up and ready for school. "Johnny where's your lunchbox?" you yelled grabbing his backpack. He was definitely gonna miss the bus. "I dunno." he shrugged. Shit. "I'll just bring it to you on my break, okay?" you said kissing him on his cheek and putting his backpack on.

You ran out the door holding his hand as the bus pulled off. Perfect. You were gonna be late for work again. You grabbed your apron and keys. "Come on, buddy. Hop in." you said opening the car door for him. You drove quickly to the school and dropped Johnny off.

You were already late so you decided to stop for smokes, you desperately needed one. You saw a familiar car parked at the gas pump. Billy's Camaro. You walked into the store and went to the front. "Can I get two packs of Marlboro Reds please?" the lady nodded and went to grab them off the shelf.

"Y/n, hey." you heard Billy's deep voice from behind you. Even his voice made you tingle. "Hey, I don't have time to talk. Gotta get to work." you said tapping your fingers on the counter. Hurry up, lady.

"I was gonna call you, I just had some shit happen." he said reaching around and slapping a $20 on the counter to pay for your cigarettes. "I don't need you to pay for my stuff," you said irritated. You finally turned to look at him.

He had a black eye that looked like it was pretty fresh. "Pick a fight with the wrong guy?" you said. "Yeah, my dad." he grumbled. Oh. "Fuck. I'm sorry. I didn't mean.." you started. "It's all good, baby." his tone had switched back to cocky. "So, can I still call you?"

"Yeah. I'd um, I'd really like that. I gotta run, gonna be late for work. And thanks for the cigarettes." you leaned up and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I wasn't trying to be a bitch." you said pausing to look him in his eyes. "That's okay, I kinda liked it." he smirked. You blushed and turned to leave.

You drove to work, definitely going over the speed limit. You pulled up 20 minutes late. Shit, shit, shit. You threw on your apron and pulled your hair up into a ponytail. You ran inside. You were met with your manager staring at you. Fuck. "Y/n, we need to talk." You forced a smile and walked over to him.

"Hi Tim, I'm so sorry I'm late, Johnny missed the bus and.." he put his hand up signaling for you to stop talk. Prick. "Y/n, I'm sorry. I know you have a lot going on but we can't have someone working for us who isn't reliable." he said. "No, please. I promise I won't be late again. I'll pick up extra shifts. Tim, I need this job." you pleaded.

"I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do." Tim said with his arms crossed. "Tim.." your eyes started to fill with tears. He simply shook his head. "Fuck you. Fuck this job. Your pay is shit anyways." you said your anger building. Calm down, breathe. But you couldn't. You needed this job to pay your bills and take care of Johnny.

Your tears started to fall and you took off your apron throwing it at Tim. You flipped him the bird and walked out to your car. You lit a cigarette and let the tears fall. What the fuck were you gonna do? You worked part time with Robin and Steve at Family Video but it wasn't enough to pay your rent and utilities and feed you and Johnny. Fuck this day.

You drove home and grabbed the newspaper looking for job listings. There has to be something. Your phone started ringing and you let it go to voicemail. You heard Billy's voice through the phone.