Chapter 7

Flashes from the camera are blinding, the constant clicks from the camera loud. I try my best to hold my pose and not stare at anything else. They had me standing poolside wearing a red thong bikini that was nothing but a scrap of fabric.

I have a small puge which everyone accounts to bloating. I was three months along. I hold my breath trying to suck it in and appear smaller. The random bouts of nausea increase the longer I do it wiping my wet hair back. The photographer continues snapping shots unaware of my dilemma.

Now more than ever I am happy to be taking a break from the limelight. Having to hide my pregnancy is challenging.

"You're doing great Shantell just a couple more shots. Let's try some with you on your back. Make sure to face the camera." Rush directed.

Taking his direction I flip onto my back and look into the camera my mind begins to wander about Nathan for the hundredth time today. It's been three months since I've seen him and each day is harder than the last. I almost broke down and called him last night. I had just finished emptying my stomach into my toilet I want it more than anything to be comforted by anything. The sound of his voice could make me feel better. I picked up my phone and went to his contacts I wanted to press call my finger hovered over the call icon ready to press it then the image of him at home with his wife had me exiting and tossing my phone onto the bathroom floor.

"Ok Shantell that's a wrap. You did amazing. I'll have the proofs sent to Brooke in a few days." Smiling politely I thanked him again for the opportunity. Even if I didn't feel my best I knew the photos would turn out amazing. I stood up from the pool and was handed a robe by Julia. I slipped it on and made my way into the rental house to change. I was ready to head home; not in the mood to socialize.

Later that night after dinner I finally had the courage to tell Brooke not to book me for any more gigs for a while, that I would be needing to take a break soon. She looked at me surprised.

"Why would you want to slow down now? You're on a roll. You have two movies, one you just finished and the other is about to premiere next month."

"Because I'm pregnant." I whispered hoping she heard me so I wouldn't have to repeat it.

"Shantell speak up, I can't hear you." Brooke scolded.

Taking in a deep breath. I spoke up. "I said I'm pregnant."

"That's not possible you aren't even dating anyone."

"Although that is true. I am pregnant. According to my doctor I am 13 weeks along." I finished.
Brooke's eyes popped wide open as she did the math inside her head. "13 weeks ago you were on set finishing up your movie with Nate Robinson. Shantell when did you have the time to get pregnant."

"It's not like I planned it. I just wasn't thinking." I tried to defend myself.

"Then who's the father? I know you, you don't just sleep around." Brooke looked at me waiting for my answer. When I didn't answer she looked at me again, shock crossing her face.

"Shantell no. Please tell me that I'm wrong.please tell me you did not sleep with that married man." I didn't deny it. I know she was talking about Nathan. Brooke saw us become good friends while shooting the movie and then just avoid each other like the plague for the past 3 months.

"I didn't mean for this to happen." Tears pooled into my eyes.

"Shantell what were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking. It just happened. We knew it was wrong. That's why we haven't been around each other since filming wrapped." Brooke wrapped me into a hug. I needed my sister's support. Carrying this burden for the past month on my own has been hard.