Starting Up The Book Club

Piper impatiently glanced at the clock as she continued to pace. Starting a book club was the stupidest idea she'd ever had. No one was going to show.

She sighed and looked again between the library entrance and the clock. It had been more than 15 minutes since the club was supposed to start, and Piper was getting sick of standing by herself.

Maybe she should have made more than one flyer. But then again, if she had made a ton, maybe a whole bunch of people would have shown up. Piper was NOT about to be in charge of a giant group. She'd wanted to socialize with this club, but not THAT much.

Another glance at the clock. This was stupid. She was about to start leaving, when a soft voice rang out across the mostly empty room.

"Umm...is this where the book club is supposed to meet?"

Piper spun towards the entrance, making eye contact with a willowy, withdrawn-looking girl in red. Her hair covered half her face, and she clutched something in her hand.

Piper approached her and realized she was holding the flyer for the club she had made. Really tightly. Piper knew anxiety when she saw it, and this girl was about to keel over from it. "Yeah. It is."

The girl's grip on the flyer loosened slightly, and Piper smiled. "My name's Piper. And you are?"

The girl in red shuffled nervously and tried to return the smile. "I'm...Jemma. Jemma Adagio."

"Thanks for coming, Jemma. You're the only one."

Jemma blinked, straightening a bit. "I-I am?" she seemed a bit relieved. Piper was too. A book club with only two people would be much more manageable. Fun, even.

"Yeah. C'mon." Piper lead Jemma to one of the tables, where she'd piled a few options for the first book. "I was thinking we could start with a classic. Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Dracula was long, and difficult to get through. The perfect test to see if this Jemma was the right kind of person for this club. Piper anxiously dug her nails into her palm, waiting for Jemma's reaction.

"I've been wanting to read that!" Jemma grinned. "I....really like gothic literature."

Piper unclenched her hand and sat down next to Jemma. "Me too! Vampires are so cool and I find it so fascinating how much of an impact this book had on the general lore. Don't you think?"

Jemma nodded earnestly, and Piper couldn't help but smile. "I really lucked out with this club, didn't I?" she thought to herself. "Couldn't have asked for a better club member."