Epiphany

Gwen couldn't stop thinking about "the incident". It played over and over again, spirling around. They'd just been spending time together. January and them. That's what friends do, right?

January was a very tactile person. He liked to cuddle and be around people. So, Gwen had let them sit in her lap. It was nothing, really. They'd done it before.

But this time, someone had turned to them as they were talking.

"Sorry to bother you," they said. "But how long have you been dating?"

Gwen and January were NOT dating. How could that person have thought they were?? Sure, Jan had been in G's lap...and they were always together...but they were friends. It happens! Friends spent time together.

And G LOVED the time they spent with January. She was...so lively. So friendly. So stubborn. G had never known anyone quite like them.

After so many years of feeling out of place and lonely, Jan was one of the first people to stick around. Their grumpy and stoic demeanor usually scared people away, but not this time.
Ever since they'd met, January had been DETERMINED to become Gwen's friend. Despite how off-putting her personality may be...January LIKED them. CHOSE to be around them. It was something Gwen wasn't used to,

And it was nice. G really appreciated having someone...there. To talk to, to bounce ideas off of...to be comforted by...

January wasn't afraid of anything. He'd play music as loud as possible, and make friends with anyone nearby without a second thought. G envied all that. They were really glad Jan had chosen them.

She sighed and fell back onto her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Had that girl REALLY thought that they looked like a couple? G couldn't help but feel embarrassed. But...in a weird way. Their face felt warm.

She thought about what their third roommate has talked about, Betsy was a hopeless romantic, always going on about relationships in and out of movies. How had she talked about relationships?

Couples care about each other of course, and spend time together, and cuddle, and are the most important person to each other, right? They...

Gwen bolted upright abruptly. They did all of that with January. Were...were they and January practically a couple ALREADY? Did January know? How could this happen? And...why did they feel so...hopeful?

G loved everything about January, Their personality, their style, their undying loyalty...G loved every second of being around him.

"Holy Shit..." she muttered under her breath, She didn't dare give herself any more time to think. They get up and found themselves right at January's door.

They yanked the door open, breathless, confused, and a little excited. "JANUARY, ARE WE DATING?!?!"

January jumped in surprise as Gwen burst into the room. She looked up from her banjo to look at their friend.. Underneath their heavy makeup, a blush crawled onto their face.