The First Day of the rest of her Life

Jenny cracked open her eyes, feeling light as a feather. How much had she had to drink? It was like her head was full of cotton. She glanced around the darkness, her hair floating around her. Where was she? What happened?

Just as the thought flitted through her mind, she remembered. The party. The pool. She must have fallen in! Clumsy. She searched for a way out and swam in a random direction.

As her head breached the water, the cool air swirled around her. The music had stopped. Why? Everyone was gathered around the edge of the pool. Damn, she must've really worried them.

Jenny made her way to the edge of the other side of the pool and hoisted herself out. She turned to look at everyone else. "Hey! I'm ok!" she called, waving to them. No one flinched. "Guys? I'm over here!" Huh. Jenny moved to walk over to them but was immediately blindsided by the lack of feeling in her lower half.

She looked down and shrieked, finding her legs gone, replaced by some wispy....thing! She flew backward and found herself crashing right THROUGH a chair. No. no no no. What was going on?!

She tried to stand and examined her body. She tentatively raised an arm and tried to grab it with her other hand. An indescribable chill ran through her as she watched her hand pass through as if nothing was there. This....this was crazy.

Jenny must be CRAZY drunk or something. It's all a hallucination. Right?... She'd tell Heather all about this once she was sober.

But part of her knew it wasn't like that. Something had been itching at her mind. Something she wanted to ignore. But she couldn't.

Jenny reluctantly turned to her friends and followed their eye line down into the pool. There was something dark in the pool. Dark and alluring. Without a second thought, Jenny lowered herself back into the pool and swam towards the dark something.

A sense of dread permeated everything. Silence filled her ears. She didn't want to find anything. And yet she did. She approached the dark. The figure. And she gasped.

Opening her mouth underwater, she found her breathing hadn't changed. Not that that was her top priority at that second.

Because the thing in the water...was her. She examined her own face as her dark hair floated around it like a halo. So peaceful. Like she was sleeping. But...that's not what was happening.

Jenny stayed under the water, watching herself float there. She waited for someone to yank her out. To cry, to call the police...but nothing happened. There was muffled scuffling from above. And the lights shut off, leaving Jenny truly in the dark.

It was hard to tell how long she waited there...watching...waiting...for someone to pull her out. Too long.