Bookclub Corpse Bride AU

Piper squinted as light seeped in through the blinds. It stung her, making her flinch away. How could the sun shine so brightly like this?

None of it was right. And it hadn't been for months. Not after...

Piper stood up and made her way right out her back door. It was the first time she'd stepped out in quite a while. The sun greeted her brightly, mocking her.

She'd left so impulsively, and now it felt like a terrible mistake. Around her, a warm breeze carried the scent of fresh-cut grass and summer rain. Birds sang sweetly, tauntingly. It was beautiful out. It was disgusting.

"How?" Piper tilted her head back, staring into the monstrous sun as much as she could. Her eyes burned. It matched the rest of her. Simmering in despair. "How could you?" she spat out.

The sun refused to answer. Or maybe not the sun. The Universe itself. It was laughing at her, ignoring her pleas happily. She couldn't tell if her eyes were watering from emotion, or because of the blinding light. She wanted to stay like this. Challenging the Universe, waiting for blindness, for an answer, for the end.

But she couldn't. She instinctively snapped her head down, watching flares of light dance behind her eyelids. Another cruel taunt. She slowly opened her eyes to find something still shining in her eyes.

Even when looking at her feet, the sun found her. Reflecting off the small band around her finger and right into her soul.

Piper lifted her hand. The ring felt heavy as death, and light as the air itself. She never took it off, Not after all these months. She could never.

She knew the tears in her eyes were for her now. Gravity seemed to double in on her, dragging her down. The grass felt like the picks of millions of needles as she kneeled down. She didn't dare look away from the ring.

The Universe was laughing at her, for sure. Why else would it do this? Why would the Universe let Piper feel the joy of love...only to take it away? All those nights of planning, the giggly compliments, the soft feeling of their hands intertwined...

And then nothing. No vows, or first dances...no eternity.

It wasn't fair! Piper had done everything right! She'd followed rules, and let the Universe tug her along. And it took her sister from her.

Cruelly, it took her best friend. And watched her struggle. If it weren't for her, Piper wouldn't have made it. But there she was. Piper's hope and light. The love of her life. Her second chance.

The Universe had sent her to Piper as a cruel joke. To tear her away just before their happily ever after.

What the hell did Piper do to deserve this?! It wasn't right! The Universe was wrong. It shouldn't have taken her away. It was a mistake.

She slowly stood up and looked back into the sun. "well," she muttered. "You made a mistake, Universe. And I'm going to FUCKING fix it!"

This was Piper's purpose. She knew then that she'd dedicate herself to this, or die trying. She was going to fix everything. 

 She was going to bring Jemma back. Or else.