Jenny's Last Day

The first thing Jennifer Bleu thought as she woke up was "I don't feel like going to class!" So she decided she wouldn't.

With the pressure off, getting up and out of bed was much easier. She went straight to the radio and turned on her favorite channel before starting on the arduous task that was getting ready. Picking out an outfit was always fun, but hair and makeup took foreeeeeveeerrrr! But, that's the price to pay for looking this great!

Once she was satisfied with how she looked, she switched off the radio and flounced into the common space of her dorm. Her friend and roommate Heather was already there, making coffee.

"Heather!" Jennifer cooed as she sidled up to her friend. "Guess what you're NOT doing today??"

Heather opened her mouth to reply, but Jenny excitedly interrupted her. "School! We're TOTALLY skipping today! It'll be SO fun."

Heather placed her mug on the counter with a soft thud. "I can't! I've got a major test today."

"So?"

"So I can't just skip! You know if you bomb your classes they can totally kick you out."

Jenny shrugged. "I'm not too worried about it. I do great in my classes! They would NEVER kick me out just for skipping one time!"

"Fine.." Heather conceded.

Jenny cheered and said she was gonna round up more friends to skip with. It was probably best not to mention that she's totally skipped before really recently. Wouldn't want Heather to decide it was a bad idea and chicken out.

Jenny looked around at all the people surrounding her as Melissa set up the boombox. So many friends to party with!! Melissa, Heather, Ashley, James, Michelle, Brian, Nick, and some more people whose names she couldn't remember. They were all splayed over beach towels and picnic blankets, talking and enjoying the weather. It was nice, But not really a PARTY. No alcohol, or dancing, or games, and they had to play the music low to avoid getting caught. Bummer.

As the people around her continued to talk, Jenny looked down. She laid down on her stomach, and absently picked at the grass. She hummed with the music and plucked at the blades of grass. She grazed her hand against the rough fabric of her towel and felt a pang of homesickness.

You couldn't surf at Rainbow High. It was nothing like the beaches at home. She wished she hadn't washed the smell of sunscreen and chlorine out of her towel before coming to school for the semester.

But that's totally bogus. Who wants to feel sad at a party? She pulled herself up to stand and started singing along to the music, leading everyone to join in.

It wasn't long until some staff member from the school found them and started going on about how they were supposed to be in class. Not cool.

It's not like Jenny had wanted anyone to get in trouble, but it was Melissa's boombox...and someone had to get in trouble...and they'd totally go easier on Melissa since she never gets in trouble. If Jenny had taken the fall, she'd be in hot water with the headmistress. So it's waaaaay better that someone else get the slap on the wrist. No biggie.

As she gathered her towel, she found herself thinking about the water again. And then she had a brilliant idea! She grabbed the nearest person by the arm and told them the good news.

"Let's throw a total rager in the pool room tonight! Heather and I'll get the booze. Be there or be square!"

By that evening, news of her party was buzzing through the halls. Jenny was totally siked, but also kind of bummed because Heather wouldn't sneak out with her to get alcohol. Oh well. It wouldn't be the first time she went on a solo mission. And everyone was gonna be SOOO grateful when she showed up!

She could hear the loud music from the end of the hall. Jenny was gonna be the center of attention when she strolled on in with the drinks! As she walked to the door, she fantasized about how all her friends are gonna love it.

But when she pushed the door open, the place was already in full swing. Other people had also brought drinks. No biggie! That just means there's more alcohol to go around! It was gonna be a great party!

Jenny got herself the first drink of the night and waded through the crowds looking for her friends.

People came up to her all night to thank her for throwing a great party. It was great! The music was loud, and the lights were dim, and all her friends were having fun. She drank into the night, getting foggier and foggier. It was great!

She found Heather talking to Nick at one point.

"Heatherrrr!!!" Jenny wrapped her arms around her roommate excitedly. "I am SO happy you're finally talkin to him!" Heather had been into Nick all year long.

"Jenny, what's your damage? You're embarrassing me!"

Jenny laughed and let her friend go. "Awww, I'm just playin around. I love you guys. You're gonna be SUCH a cute couple."

Nick laughed awkwardly. "We are?"

"For sure!!!" She shoved Heather towards him. "Have fuuuun!!" Ok matchmaking is done, now time to dance! Was that her favorite song playing?

The dance floor was crowded, and sweaty, and great. Jenny sang along to the music as loud as she could until her voice was hoarse and her legs hurt from dancing.

How long had it been? Maybe she should have another drink! Maybe she'd run into a cute someone to dance with at the drinks table.

Jenny happily closed her eyes, as she got jostled through the crowd. She loved parties so much. The light, floaty feeling of being drunk, the promise of good music and friends, the chance to kiss a cute boy in a closet, the muffled music filtering through the door...was someone already in the pool closet? Maybe she could ask someone to go in there. Maybe James. He was really cute. And super nice. Yeah. That's what would make the night perfect. One more drink, and then she'd find James.

Wait....had she said only one more drink? How long ago was that? Ooooh that was a while ago....

Jenny couldn't help but laugh. It's so funny how time always slips away from her at these parties! It was going great! Everything was great! Radical! Excellent! Bitchin! Righteous! Boda-

Jenny was cold. So cold. And Dark. She opened her eyes, but couldn't see much. Was that her hair floating around her? Her shirt started floating up and she tried to laugh. But something was wrong. Very wrong. Where was she? Her eyes stung, and she closed them again. She couldn't breathe! This was bad. She forced open her eyes again, but everything was so dark. Where was the party? She could hear the music, muffled as though through a closet door...maybe this was where she was supposed to be?

She didn't want to struggle. Things were confusing, but usually, when things got confusing, they worked themselves out. She was gonna be fine. She'd just close her eyes for a bit...sleep off the alcohol...and everything would be good as new!

What a fun party...