Family Reunion

Gwen felt their stomach flip as their roommate slowed to a stop. "Betsy," they gritted their teeth in apprehension. "Why are we here?"

Betsy grinned and turned around in the driver's seat. "Uh, for movie night, duh!"

"At RAINBOW HIGH?"

Betsy sheepishly turned around again. "Well, it's where Leah is...Did...did I forget to mention that?"

Gwen grit their teeth. "Conviniently." She felt a hand slip into her own. She turned to face her partner, January. They offered a bright smile.

"Hey, maybe it won't be so bad. We'll be with friends."

Easy for him to say. He actually got ALONG with their stupid Rainbow High cousin. Well, G wasn't one for giving up. They grudgingly followed Jan and Betsy out of the car. Rainbow High seemed to tower over them.

Gwen instinctively took a step back. They hated this place more than anything. It was a strange parasite of a building, that already had it's claws in most of her family. Why were they immune? Would entering enemy territory change things?

"Hey, you ok?" Gwen snapped out of their thoughts to face January. "You can go back if you're not comfortable." They scanned Jan and Betsy's concerned faces. No, they weren't gonna ruin their night by being pathetic. They'll be fine.

She shook her head and intertwined her fingers with Jan's. "I'll be fine. Let's just go."

G concentrated on their roomates as they walked through the halls. It was remarkably similar to Shadow High, only...brighter. The colors seemed to sear Gwen's eyes. How could ANYONE live here without going blind from all the bright neons and oversaturated rainbows?

No matter. As long as they kept their focus on January and Betsy, and off certain other individuals, they'd be ok. Jan and Betsy were excitedly chatting as they walked, with Gwen trailing behind. January was so sweet and optimistic. It was no wonder they'd be able to survive on enemy territory.

"Gwen?"

At the sound of their voice, Gwen stiffened. The worst thing that could happen, has happened, They slowly turned to find their twin, Raina standing behind them.

Raina was decked out in garish rainbow gear and was holding some sort of pretentious fancy drink. That was SO like them.

"What the hell are you doing here?" they asked, tilting their head in confusion.

"Uhhh"

"We're here for a movie night with my friend Leah!" Betsy piped up.

"Oh?"

"Yeah." G took a deep breath and approached their sibling. "Hey, you guys go on without me. I'll catch up."

"If that's what you want." January pressed a quick kiss to G's cheek before reluctantly following Betsy down the hall.

As soon as the two siblings were left alone, Raina's gaze turned cold. "So what happened to this place being "an Overrated cult", huh?"

"It is. I'm just here for my roomates."

Raina scowled. "Here to rub it all in my face, then."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Ooh, look at me, I'm Gwen!" They mockingly pitched up their voice in a way they knew G hated, "I like total loser stuff and TOTALLY betrayed my whole family! But I'm STILL dating somehow even though I SO don't deserve it and my sibling is a way better choice!"

G balled their fists. How could they say any of that? "I didn't betray anyone!"

"You SO did. Everyone knows it. RAINBOW HIGH is our school. Mom and dad met HERE. EVERYONE ELSE, went HERE!"

"Not Graham."

"Graham?!" Raina's eyes practically bulged out of their head. "Of COURSE you'd bring HIM up!"

"Because he's the only other one of us with common sense! Have you ever thought about how WEIRD it is to name your KIDS after a highschool and groom them only to go there?"

"That's not what it's like at all! Rainbow High is an important family legacy! It's not MY fault you don't want to be a part of this family."

"Always in circles with you." Talking to Raina was like talking to a brick wall. Only bricks were less stubborn. Gwen knew they needed to break away and get back to January.

"Hey, maybe I have a partner and you don't because I'M not insufferable like YOU. You're single because no one likes you, Raina."

That seemed to shut them up.

G slowly turned in the direction Betsy and Jan went and started to walk away. At the last second, she paused and glanced over her shoulder. "Hey, say hi to Georgie for me, OK?"

"Ok," Raina muttered.

"I'll see you at home next month."

Raina nodded.

G turned back around, hearing Raina's boots clomp away. Why couldn't they just understand?

Well, nothing to do about it now. They sighed and pulled out their phone so Jan and Betsy could come get them from this overstaturated hallway.