Asking The Real Questions

"You're kind of funny, you know that?"

Jenny blinked as Valerie slammed her locker shut. "I am?"

"Yeah. You're hilarious." It was hard to tell with Valerie. Her voice was always so monotonous. She gestured for Jenny to follow her as she made her way to her next class.

"Thanks!" It was always fun getting compliments from Valerie. She was so cool, and different...Jenny LOVED talking with her.

"Ugh, I don't wanna go to class."

"Then don't! Stay with me!"

Valerie chuckled. "Sounds great. But no. I'm not THAT dumb. I can't skip AGAIN this week."

Valerie had such a nice laugh... And Jenny loved that she wasn't afraid to talk to her even though people gave her weird looks.

"Besides, Amy's in this class and she's cute."

That stopped Jenny in her tracks. "What?"

"Amy. The girl I like.?"

"You...what?"

Valerie shrugged. "I thought I told you that. Anyway, see you after class." She waved goodbye and walked to her classroom, leaving Jenny in the hall, confused.

"Ginger!!!" Jenny yelled as she zoomed through the halls looking for her friend. She finally found them outside the photography and modeling classrooms. "Gingerrrr!!!" She grabbed onto their arm, shaking them gently. "Help!!!"

"With what?"

"You had a girl...who was a friend, right?"

Ginger studied her, amused. "You mean my girlfriend?"

"Is that...really a thing? Can girls...." she lowered her voice, though there was no one there that could hear them. "Like girls? Like....like that?"

They seemed confused before their face lit up. "Oh my god! I can't believe I didn't see it before! This is about Valerie! You're gay!"

"What?!" Jenny jumped back in surprise. "No! What the hell is THAT?? I'm normal!"

"How do you NOT know what gay means??"

"I don't know!! Is it contagious??"

Ginger paused and sighed. They placed a hand on Jenny's shoulder. "Jenny. Jen. Jennifer."

Jenny looked from Ginger's hand to their face, confused. "...yeah?"

"Girls can like girls. And that's called being gay. Is that you?"

Girls can like girls....like...DATE like? LIKE like?? Jenny blinked, mulling it over in her mind. WAS she...? Did she? No way, she liked boys! "But I like boys! I dated guys all the time when I was alive!"

"You know you can like guys AND girls, right?"

Oh boy. Jenny's head hurt from all this thinking. "DO I like like Valerie?" she muttered, dazed.

Ginger laughed. "You'll have to figure that out yourself."

"Damnit this is totally bogus!" Jenny went off to pout by herself. If girls can like girls...and Valerie likes a girl...and Jenny...Valerie WAS super pretty, and cool, and fun, and Jenny loved spending time with her all the time, and maybe being around her made her extra happy....

Oh no.

"Gingerrrr!!!! Help!!!" she ran off to find her friend again. "How do I tell if I have the gay????"