Love(note)'s First Kiss

"Pleeeeeeeease???" Clementine pouted, her big eyes seeming to shimmer.

Georgie tightened their grip on their notebook. He REALLY didn't want to indulge Clementine's silly paranormal stuff but...she wanted Georgie to help so badly. And Georgie just couldn't disappoint her.
"Fine.." they relented. "But don't be disappointed when nothing happens."

Clementine's eyes lit up. "Yes! You're the best!! We'll do it tonight in the library!"

Georgie watched as she flounced away towards her next class. Why had he said yes? Ghosts were NOT real, and holding a seance was silly at BEST. It was the last way she'd want to spend her night. But Clementine was so sweet...and kind, and was such a good friend...Georgie just couldn't bring themself to disappoint her. Something in them just wanted her to be happy and....how bad could it be? The two of them would spend time together, which is always nice, and nothing would happen because ghosts aren't real.

Clementine was good and kind, and Georgie would have a good time. Even if it could be really difficult to focus with her around...which was most likely just because she talked so much. It's hard to write while listening to someone. That's all.

He would have a perfectly normal night with his friend Clementine. They only hoped she wouldn't be too disappointed when she realized ghosts weren't real...

That night, Clementine was already waiting for her as Georgie approached the library. It was dark, with only the moonlight and a few candles lighting up the room. Clementine had set up a ouija board and a few other pieces of paraphernalia for the night.

She turned away slightly as Georgie sat next to her. "I'm so glad you agreed to help me," she said with a smile. Her face seemed to be tinted pink, but that was most likely a trick of the light. Candlelight refracted off her orange hair...or something...

"Well I think this is all pretty silly, but...you really wanted to."

Clementine let out a giggle before covering her mouth. She smiled down at the candles before turning back to Georgie. "Well...let's get started...shall we?"

"If we must."

Clementine suddenly moved and took his hand in hers. Georgie couldn't help but flinch.

"Sorry!" she said, turning away again. "I...it's for the seance. We're supposed to hold hands."

Georgie shrugged. "Ok then. Whatever your...ghosts want..." They closed their eyes, unsure of what he should be waiting for. Clementine's hand was warm and soft.

"Spirits of Rainbow High!" she started. "We...we summon you! Please...by the original founders of this institution and the power of the occult club...reveal yourselves to us! Join us in the land of the living!"

The only sound in the room was the soft crackling of the candles. It was actually quite peaceful. Georgie wouldn't mind staying like this for a while...quietly, in the dark, with Clementine....it was oddly comfortable.

What felt like minutes passed before Clementine let out a sigh and released Georgie's hand. She opened her eyes to look at her.

"Nothing..." Clementine muttered.

Georgie turned to comfort her, just as a loud thud echoed through the room. They both yelped in surprise and jumped closer to each other. Clementine laughed nervously and peeled herself away, grabbing her phone to go investigate the noise. Georgie followed closely.

A book had fallen off the shelf. Clementine hesitantly picked it up. "It's an Edgar Allen Poe anthology....you know what this means??"

"That someone put that book on the shelf wrong?"

"Someone pushed it over! C'mon, we've gotta try to talk to them again!" She grabbed Georgie's hand and brought him and the book back to their seance setup. "Hello? Ghosts? You can show yourselves! We won't hurt you, I promise!"

The candles all blew out at once. Georgie's blood ran cold. "You did that."

"No! It was the ghost!"
Georgie felt their heart rate increase. "Clementine, ghosts aren't REAL. It had to have been you!"

"But it wasn't!"

A slow scraping sound interrupted their argument. In the dim moonlight, they saw the planchette make its way around the board. It was too far away for either of them to touch.

It must be a prank. Ghosts aren't real. They just weren't. "G-E-O-R"...the planchette spelled out her name. And then Clementine's. The two of them sat in silent tension, watching. "B-O-O", the planchette spelled out.

All at once, the board suddenly lifted high into the air before being dropped, creating a thunderous crash. The candles relit with a vengeance, sending flames high up towards the ceiling, illuminating two figures. Faces. Blue and Purple. Curly hair. Wispy bodies. There. Floating. Watching. Waiting. One of them laughed, a chilling, unmistakable laugh.

And as quickly as it began, it was over. The candles were out, the board was unmoving, and the only sound was Georgie's and Clementine's ragged breathing.

Ghosts were real. Ghostswererealghostswererealghostswerereal. And Georgie could barely think straight.

"Are you ok?" Clementine finally squeaked out shakily.

Georgie turned to answer, only to find his face only inches from hers. They'd been clinging to each other without even thinking about it. Everything suddenly felt fuzzy. He'd never felt so anxious. They felt like they just cheated death. And now they were sitting in the dark with their friend Clementine, the moonlight creating a mesmerizing halo around her head.

For once in her life, Georgie stopped thinking. And allowed their lips to connect with Clementine's.

It wouldn't be until the next day that they'd realize this was their first kiss.