Piper Tells All.

Adonis & Margaret were two of the most formidable students at Rainbow High. Popular, rich, and close as friends could be. They bantered easily as they walked through the hallways.

Behind them, trailed Piper. The third in their trio. The three of them were practically inseparable, and it was hard to discuss one of them, without bringing up the others. However, on this day, Piper was unusually quiet, as she followed behind her friends.

She knew they noticed, but assumed they wouldn't ask. Adonis especially was never good with emotional talks, and so the three of them had a bit of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy between them. This worked out great for Piper because there was nothing she'd hate more than....being honest with her feelings and vulnerable with others. Even those she was closest with.

So, she kept her thoughts to herself as she wandered through the hallways. The school was more deserted than usual, as it was a holiday weekend, and the clomp of her boots echoed loudly. She dragged her hand along the rough walls, occasionally tracing the indents between the brick textures. Loud boots, loud thoughts, quiet hallway.

She idly glanced up and examined the different artworks as she passed them. Paintings, and portraits, and short poems, and mannequins dressed to the nines paraded past. And then she hit the trophy case.

Piper had to put her hand down as she passed the glass case, full of awards past students had claimed. She saw her face in the glass. Pale. Well, she was always pale, but maybe this was different. Her heart started beating faster. She knew what was just past the trophy case.

She passed this display so many times, and yet every single time, she felt the same. A haunting feeling of dread, anxiety, and sentimentality that made her simultaneously want to write poetry and never think about the topic again.

And then, before she could think, she was there. A wall dedicated to...students that didn't make it. The ones that died young. And there she was.

Piper's sister looked out at her from her portrait, grinning sweetly. "Hi Rouge," Piper mouthed quietly. She stopped to stare. Rouge had meant everything to her. She'd been her best friend and closest confidant. And now...just a photo, haunting a school.

Piper had never told anyone about this, except her girlfriend, Jemma. She didn't want anyone to pity her. But now, under her sister's gaze, she found that she couldn't just keep walking. She stopped short.

"That's my sister," she said finally. Loudly. Clearly. For perhaps the first time.

"What?"

Piper glanced toward Margaret and Adonis. They'd stopped a few feet past her, probably once they heard her speak, and were looking at her curiously.

"That's my sister," she repeated matter-of-factly, pointing towards Rouge's photo.

Margaret was the first of the two to process what Piper meant. "Oh my god...really?" She walked over to stand next to Piper and looked up at the memorial wall. "I had no idea..."

"I know."

Adonis flanked her other side, looking slightly uncomfortable. "Sorry," was all he said. He was never good at comforting people.

Talking about it made everything feel so real. Piper felt her legs begin to shake. Tears built up, clouding her vision. "I...really miss her," she choked out. She wanted to say more, but she knew if she opened her mouth, she would start crying. And that was the last thing she needed.

Piper spun around to find somewhere she could sit by herself until the grief passed, but someone grabbed her arm. Margaret. "Don't go," was all she said.

Piper felt the tears coming. But her feet were rooted to her ground. Her friends were watching her, concerned. She saw their faces through the blur of tears. And...she suddenly didn't want to go either. She fell into Margaret's arms and cried.

Margaret gently held her, and petted Piper's hair, letting her get it all out.

Eventually, the tears subsided, and she pulled away. "Thank you," she managed weakly, trying to use her sleeve to scrub away the tear tracks on her face.

Adonis and Margaret smiled at her comfortingly. There was no harsh judgment. And Piper had never felt more relieved.

"I know what will cheer you up," Margaret said finally. "Let's watch one of those bad horror movies you like! I'll even buy whatever snacks you want."

"And...if you want...you could talk about her a little while we walk," Adonis offered.

Piper felt tears coming again. But this time, they were ones of appreciation. Her friends weren't the most empathetic or kindest people on the planet, but god dammit...they cared. They really did. And Piper loved them for it.

"Yeah...I think I'd like that."