The Day After

Georgie felt the anxiety building as they approached the classroom. This would be the first time he and Clementine would see each other since they...last night....

He dropped his bag by his usual seat, but just couldn't sit down. There was too much anxiety floating around. Instead, they paced, fidgeting nervously. What should he do when she gets here? Pretend it never happened? Probably. Clementine probably just wanted to put the awkward moment behind her. Yeah. There's no way she'd want to draw attention to what happened between them. Next to her, she felt their friend eyeing her strangely.

Finally, Dorian spoke up. "Ok what the hell is up with you today?"

Georgie glanced from Dorian, to the door, and back. No Clementine yet. Should they tell him? He's not REALLY a gossip...and Georgie kinda wanted to tell someone before they implode.

She leaned in toward Dorian and quickly spat it out before they changed their mind. "Clementine and I kissed last night!"

Dorian blinked at him before shrugging and saying. "It's about time."

"What?"

"You two have been into each other FOREVER it was getting annoying!"

Georgie lowered himself into his chair. "but...I'm not..."

"Oh please. You've been in love with Clementine for, like, way too long. And she's in love with you."

"No, she's not! She...it was just a heat of the moment thing. She probably just thinks it's an embarrassing mistake..."

"Georgie!" Clementine's voice rang through the room. Georgie spun around to see her in the doorway, her face blushing pink. She walked over to sit next to Georgie. "Hi..."

"Hi," was all Georgie could muster.

"I made you something," Clementine said. She pulled something out of her pocket and handed it to him. A small beaded bracelet, made of clementine orange beads and small charms with the letters "C" and "G". "I have one that matches!" she continued, rolling down her sleeve to reveal a matching bracelet of red, orange, and yellow beads. "Do you like it?"

Georgie stared down at the bracelet in a daze, nodding absently.

"Yes!" Clementine grabbed onto Georgie's arm and rested her head against their shoulder. "I knew you would." She blushed lightly, looking away quickly. "I'm...really glad you kissed me yesterday. I've...kind of liked you for a while."

Georgie was barely listening, feeling Clementine so close.

"I promise our first real date is gonna be the best!"

First...date? Suddenly everything fell down on him at once. Clementine...LIKED them? Wanted to...date? She was holding his arm. Smiling at him. Oh, god.

Georgie had expected so many things. For it never to be mentioned, for Clementine to say it was a mistake, to ask that no one ever find out...not this. Not...matching bracelets and...a date.

It was overwhelming. Clementine was making a mistake. Or maybe it was a prank. Either way, she couldn't stay there. She stood up abruptly, and ran out of the room, leaving her bag behind.

Georgie found themself where they'd always felt comfortable. The school library. They sat down in the mystery section, hiding amongst the shelves to regroup.

She looked down, examining the bracelet Clementine gave her. It was...a nice bracelet. Did she really want to be with him? Why would she go through the effort of making these bracelets if she didn't mean it? Maybe it was a really elaborate joke. There was no other explanation.

"Found you." Georgie startled and turned to find Clementine sitting across from him. She looked worried. "Georgie....I'm so sorry if I made you uncomfortable!" She fiddled with her bag strap and avoided eye contact. "After we kissed, I thought...I thought we were gonna..."

"You WANT that?"

Clementine looked up, surprised. "Of COURSE I want to go out with you! Georgie, you're the greatest! You're so cool, and smart, and funny, and talented, and I love being around you!" She blushed bright pink. "I thought you knew...I've had feelings for you for months!"

Months? "You're joking."

"I'm not!" Clementine reached forward and took Georgie's hands in hers. "I mean seriously, I'm not subtle." She laughed. "I really, really like you, Georgie. I Want to go on dates with you, and kiss again, and be your girlfriend. If you don't...that's ok...but I really like you."

"...you're not kidding."

Clementine grinned and shook her head. "Of course not, silly!"

Georgie turned it all around in her head. Clementine seemed so genuine...could it really be that someone as good as Clementine wanted someone like them? The cynic in him wanted to turn her down. To avoid the heartbreak before it happens. Clementine would never be happy with him.

And yet...looking into her big, beautiful eyes, feeling her soft hands in hers...Georgie just couldn't say no. He didn't want to. She wanted to be Clementine's partner. ...such a funny thought.

"Ok," they said finally. "I...we...let's do it."

"You want to date?"

Georgie nodded. Their face felt warm, their head spinning.

Clementine beamed. "Yes!!!" She pulled Georgie to stand up. "I'm really glad." She reached up and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

"We better get to class," was all he could muster, through his flustered haze.

As they walked through the hallways back to class, Georgie reached out and took Clementine's hand in hers. It was nice. A nice beginning.