Go Back To Elise, Arno

I sat up on my bed with a gasp, my body soaked with nervous sweat and adrenaline coursing through my veins. My heart was beating furiously. Was I still falling? Was I still climbing? Where the hell was I? The large Assassin's insignia etched brazenly against the light colored fabric caught my eye and a flash of deja vu told me that I was in the Assassin's bureau, safe and sound.

"Christ," I said quietly. I took in a deep breath, the sound of my inhale quivering as my nightmare played through my head. My arm twitched and I clenched my hand into a fist as I began to feel my fingers tremble and my palms start to get clammy.

These nightmares occurred way too often and my fortitude was beginning to crumble. My mental walls were breaking and I felt like I was quitting. At what? I don't know. After falling off of the Eiffel Tower, something snapped within me. I don't know if it was the fall, if it was the sudden change in the years from 1787 to 1944, or if it was just something else like a fever. Whatever the cause, I tried not to let it go to my head.

I groggily pulled my legs off my bed, the cold stone floor meeting my bare feet. I puffed out a yawn, covering my mouth the back of my hand and rubbed my eyes with my fists, wiping the sleep from them. Another absolutely marvelous day to come. Arno probably brought me here. Or did I just appear here?

 ~+~

A cool morning breeze swept through the city, ruffling my assassin garments and pulling at my hood. I walked with a slight spring in my step as I tried to fit the environment around me.

People were already up and about and the streets were congested with people. Police guards strolled around, high and mighty and Templar Guards...well, I was taking the path they rarely used. I didn't want any attention.

I look down below at the gray rocky beach of the murky channel of water that lightly lapped the beach. Nothing could be seen after three feet. I stepped on the stone lined barrier guard rail. As I balanced myself on the barrier rail, I had a flashback.

 "Rache!" Adalicia giggled, sitting on the barrier rail. The rail was decorated with beautiful flowers that caressed the wall, making intricate patterns with the vines."Come and get me!" She gave me a mocking wave as if she knew that I couldn't catch her.

 "That's not fair!" I laughed. "You know I can't balance!"

 "It's all in your head," said Adalicia, giving me a small smile. She beckoned me up. "You're the only one who can play, too. Charlotte and Raquel are busy having a tea party."

 "Ew, tea parties." I wrinkled my nose."How dare they not come and play with Adalicia The Great," I grinned, giving a mock bow.

 "Yes!" she shrieked with laughter, clapping her hands. "How dare they not! Off with their heads!"

 "Let them eat cake!"

 A wide grin split Adalicia's face. She cartwheeled on the barrier rail and set herself down on her bum, her legs crossed daintily. "I like cake," she said.

I did a back bend, my fingers curling around the rail for purchase, allowing me to safely do the bend, coming back up again. I finished with somersault, landing on both feet.

"Hey, Miss!" a child's voice spoke up. I looked around for the caller. "Down here."

I looked down. Next to me, on the ground stood a young boy around the age of six or seven. Crooked teeth, disheveled hair, large, blue, doe eyes, he looked like a small angel.

"Hi," I said, crouching on the rail to his level. I gave a small smile. "Did you want something?"

"No," he replied nonchalantly. "I just thought you were going to fall. Last time someone fell from here, they died."