This is Just the Beginning

Arno

        I stared after the retreating woman in worry. Her words echoed through my mind over and over again. I thought I'd go mad. I couldn't understand why there was such intense sentiments of guilt. 

I opened my hand to reveal the gold and silver metal glinting softly under the wan moonlight. My shadow blocked out some of the light from hitting some of the ornate swirls of gold.

I didn't feel right. Shouldn't I be relieved? I had obtained the object of my truth, of my need. But the cost was me being exposed as a greater threat to an individual where it wasn't necessary. The look in her eyes was, in a way, haunted me.

I absently walked down the streets in the opposite direction, dagger in hand. My current objective had now swiveled into a new one. I had to find the maker of this dagger and return the information to Elise, my love. From there, we would be able to follow the trail and perhaps we can find who killed Francois de la Serre, Elise's father whom I considered to be my own. Then all this worry will be gone. I imagined a fruitful life with Elise where could forget all past, present, and future quarrels between the Assassin's and Templars. To settle down and rediscover ourselves outside each of our Orders'. But the nag in the corner of my mind now is the thought of this mysterious maid coming back home to the Templar superior with empty arms.

An unusual sense of dread filled me as I turned on my heel and began following the path back to the Rousseau's manor.

Rache

I am not one who is terrified at the thought of dying. It's the act of which that absolutely terrifies me.

My wet skirts clung to me as I madly dashed back to the Rousseau manor. I couldn't tell if the prickling sensation in my neck was a feeling of Arno following me home, the cold, or a sense of foreboding. Maybe all at once. I found myself wracking my brain to find a way to evade getting near Jaques let alone speaking to him. The birds had started chirping so I knew it was early in the morning. Perhaps Jacques would be asleep? Perhaps he wouldn't be able to hear my enter the house? My hands were shaking as I reached for the door handle. 

I longly thought about sneaking out with the sisters but I assumed they would still be asleep as it was too early. That thought turned into a prayer begging for them to wake up as I noticed the candles still lit in the house. Jacques was still awake.

I tentatively stepped into the manor, quietly shutting the door behind me. The fireplace was crackling invitingly. Perhaps if I can sneak past him and into Adalicia's room to hide? Just as the plan began to form in my head Jacques bellowed loudly. "You better have than damn dagger with you!" He thundered down the stairs. Once he reached the base of the stairs, his gaze found me and turned into a glare once he saw my empty hands.

He began stalking towards me slowly. I watched his every move, my eyes flitting over to even the smallest movements or twitches. My feet were planted to the ground and I became unmovable. My eyes found his as he came close enough for my to smell his rancid breath. He had been drinking again.

"I don't see a basket, my dear," he said in a chillingly calm voice.

I opened my mouth to speak or babble out an excuse, but to my surprise, his hand came down and collided with my cheekbone. My head snapped to the side upon the forceful impact. Tears welled in my eyes from the sudden burst of pain.

"You have become sloppy these days. I can no longer task you with the easiest errands. I don't feel like I can trust you anymore, dear." He spoke through his teeth, spit flying from his lips. I kept my head bowed to the side.