Her Name is Elise de Laserre

"She is a friend of mine," Arno explained to me as we strolled down the dark streets.

"Yes, you told me," I replied, matching my stride with his. My wound was throbbing from the bullet that the guard caught into my side, making me wince as I walked, but I ignored it as best as I could.

"So when do you meet this person?" Arno asked after a short moment of silence with only the sound of our boots crunching the loose gravel that hid between the cobblestones, my short heels clicking to the rhythm.

"I'd rather not have you two meet," I said honestly. "He is very temperamental."

Arno's voice dipped low with a hint of anger lacing his voice. "Did he hurt you?"

Aww, how sweet. He cares! My heart warmed up at the thought. "No," I replied shortly. Arno gave a low growl in the back of his throat making my heart beat accelerate. I banished my emotions the moment I thought my heart was beating too loudly. It would be shameful if he had heard it.

I lead Arno to a cafe that was open until the next hour. It wasn't too late so that it would close, so a few people lingered about inside of the cafe.

"This is the cafe you're meeting in?" Arno asked. He sounded astonished. He paused me at the doorway, putting a hand firmly on my chest to keep me from moving further inside.

"What's wrong?" I turned to face him. I saw his eyes search the cafe as if looking for somebody. "Arno--"

"Shh!" he hissed. "Not so loudly. He gently turned me around and gave me a small push into the cafe again, a protective arm rested on my shoulder.

"Belle!" someone shouted. Arno's hand stiffened.

"Who's that?" he asked.

"Calm down," I said, smiling at approaching form of my date. He stopped a meter away from me and glanced with wide eyes at Arno.

"Pierre?" Arno whispered, aghast.

"You two know each other?" I asked, surprised. I knew they worked for the Assassin's, but honestly, I never gave much thought about it.

"How could we not?" Pierre asked, almost snapping at me. "We are in the same Order. Hell, I trained Pisspot. Why is he here?"

"Do you not remember earlier this evening how he was forced to accompany me?" I fired back. "How is this my fault?"

I stormed passed Pierre, bumping his shoulder roughly before walking out the door and disappearing into the night. Thankfully, by the time their peabrains managed to register my absence, I was already long gone, disappearing into the thick fog without a trace.

~*~ 

It was midnight and most of the Assassin's were asleep. I found myself in the library, trying to seek refuge from tonight by digging through all the romantic books that were piled on the stone shelves surrounding the room. All the characters I read about were very lucky. Soulmates and whatnots, and it made my stomach knot up at the thought of Pierre.

He came in a while after I had stormed from the cafe and had asked me on another date and an "apology about tonight." He was a bright man and very comical, saying heartfelt comments about me. He left, satisfied with my answer of "yes, I'd like that," and just before ten seconds had gone by, Arno walked in, pausing at the doorway, leaning against the arch.

"Elise de Laserre."

"What?" I looked up from the book I was reading to see Arno sitting on the table beside me. His hood was down revealing his handsome features. "Oh yes, I know." I buried my nose back into the leather-bound pages.