Your Love Life Can Wait

I woke with a tight feeling in my stomach. My room was lit only by a singe candle, shedding it's lonely light through my empty room.

  This was so not going to work. The scene of Jacques' gruesome body burning itself in the back of my eyelids over and over again is something I don't want to wake up to. But I guess I do it everyday now. The Assassin's assigned me this job with slight blackmail. How could I refuse? They must take me as some sort of heartless monster, which I guess I am in a way.

  Torture, killing, rage, hate, fury, I was a monster in the shell of a young woman. I noticed that whenever I get angry, my vision turns red and my senses shut down. It's a terrible feeling but I feel so powerful. The beauty of it is that I cannot feel the pain in my heart when I treat my victims and I cannot feel or hear or smell the fear of the people who I bring pain upon. It's a terrible curse and can't be undone.

  I got up from my bed making sure I didn't disrupt the chains which held my bed aloft. I lived in the lowest part of the bureau so it was kind of pointless, but I would never really know.

  I got dressed, pulling on the blue assassin garments that had once belonged to Arno. After he found out much stealthier and more fitted clothing, he allowed me to take in his old blue robes my possession. I fit them according to my stature and frame and now I wear it with pride, even though the Templar Guards still end up chasing me when I cross their line of vision.

  I pulled on my weapons and blew out the candle. I didn't have Eagle Vision like Arno, so everything was dark. However, I knew this entire bureau like the back of my hand so it was no trouble finding the stairs back up.

  Just as I exited the stairs that lead to my quarters, Arno appeared out of nowhere and roughly bumped into me, crashing me into the wall. I was taken by surprise.

  "Excuse you," I said, watching him stop in his place as he heard my voice.

  Arno focused on my face, yet he seemed very distant. I wouldn't blame him. Many events had happened for the past few weeks and months. Our recent intel on the Templars exposed Germain. Francoise-Thomas Germain. The Sage and Grand Master of the Templar Order. More than ever I wanted Germain to be dead in the deepest parts of the sewers in Paris. The man was evil. Then again, I would be a hypocrite just saying this.

  "You're just the person I wanted to see, Rache," Arno said, approaching me. He turned his head both ways to check if anyone was in the hallway listening to us. But who would be up at the earliest hours? Just Arno and I, I suppose.

  "Well, my life has been lacking excitement except for Bellec. He has been good to  me." I smiled and a small blush tinted my cheeks as I thought of Pierre. Yes, he may be older, and yes, he may be a high ranking assassin, but I have hopes. Weird as it may seem, I am somewhat in love, and my heart always flutters at the thought of Pierre's funny and wise comments. After all, he did help Arno get out of Bastille, the prison where all men go to die.

  "Yes, of course." Arno visibly rolled his eyes. "You two have a thing together."

  I planted defiant fists on my hips and glared at him. "Well I don't go around judging and telling you who to see or not to see!"

  Arno growled in the back of his throat making the hairs all over my body stand up. This man was handsome but scary. "Yes, fine, believe what you want. I need your help, Rache."

  I dropped my fists and let them slap down at me sides. "What's wrong?"

  "I must meet Elise at the Mirabeau's estate. I just spoke with Pierre about this. We are to leave immediately." Arno put a guiding hand on the small of my back and gave me a gentle push towards the main hallway that lead down the flight of stairs into another hallway. We walked down the curved steps of the stairway, both of is trying to walk as quietly as we could so we wouldn't wake anyone else up.