fourteen | doppelgänger

TRINITY

I sit in my favorite coffee shop, in the exact same table where Aaron asked me out for our first date.

This whole shop is filled with memories.

We came here so often the baristas knew us and our drink orders. And now they know Aaron and I 'broken' up.

We stumble through the doors, Aaron smiling down at me as I laugh hysterically. I was laughing for a stupid reason but Aaron still managed to find it cute. Find me cute.

I let out a sound that doesn't sound like a yelp but is a yelp which makes Aaron chuckle.

We walk to the counter to place our orders. Aaron begins to order for the both of us but the cashier interrupts him and states our drink orders out loud with a sweet smile.

They recognize us!

I smile brightly which makes Aaron's smile grow bigger.

I frown at the memory.

I'm trying my best to get over him.

After that night we spent together, I only called him two times to help me feel better again.

But after the most recent night, I don't think I will call him over again.

He was telling me his plans, what he was going to do to those men who was in his house. The men who created the now faded cut on my face.

He thought that was going to make everything feel better. It won't.

So I kicked him out.

It's been a week since that.

I went to Athena's father's funeral a couple weeks back and since then I haven't stopped thinking about my father.

I don't remember him clearly. It's been years. So many years. My mom had told me that he just went missing and no one can find him.

Turns out he's been dead.

I sigh before taking a sip of my coffee.

The bell to the entrance rings and I look up.

At first, my breath gets hitched as I watched a tall brunette man open the door, but when I see the man's face, I frown.

It's an Aaron lookalike. A doppelgänger.

Why was I hoping it was Aaron?

Aaron and I do need to talk. About things. About everything.

I make an inaudible noise as I take another sip, finishing my coffee.

I'm about to get up to throw away my cup and leave but the bell on the door stops me as I look at who walks in.

We make eye contact.

My breathing hitches. Fuck.

He walks to the cashier and quickly orders his drink, throws money on the counter before walking over to me.

I had already froze. I can't escape.

I feel sick. Like I want to throw up.

"Trinity." Aaron greets me, his mouth forming into a thin line as he takes notice of my appearance.

I just wanted to go out for a coffee and to put some posters up, I didn't feel like changing so I left the house in pajama shorts, an oversized shirt, and slides.

I don't even know what my hair looks like right now.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, not taking in consideration that maybe Aaron can get coffee like all the times I've done before, or the fact that this is also his favorite coffee place.

"Coffee, what are you doing here?" He questions me back and I feel a blush form on my face.

I point at the empty coffee cup while picking up one flier and giving it to Aaron.

He analyzes it, the same way he analyzed my body language the night we first hooked up.

And the way he's done many times after that night.

I act like the memories don't exist and just stare at Aaron analyzing the flier.

"Do you mind if I take some of these?" He asks, pointing at the stack of fliers on the table. "I can hang it around the office, it might get more people on the lookout for Cleo."

I nod immediately and give him the whole stack.

I will do anything for my dog back.

A barista calls Aaron's name when his drink is ready and I take this as an opportunity to escape this conversation.

I gather up all my stuff and throw the trash away and then walk out of the door.

I cross my arms over my chest as I walk to the bus stop.

I hear the door open from the coffee shop and I hear Aaron's footsteps towards me as he calls out my name.

I'm about to ask him to have this conversation another day but I feel the bile rising in my throat which stops me.

I try to swallow it back down but I'm too late. 

I bend over and project vomit on the sidewalk.

What the fuck?

I wasn't serious when I said I wanted to throw up.

"Trinity? Are you okay?" Aaron asks, I can feel his presence behind me.

"I'm fine." I grunt. I'm really not. "Do you have a napkin?"

He hands me a napkin and I wipe my mouth with it.

I throw the napkin away in the nearest trash can.

It couldn't be the coffee, I've had it so many times before and I've never had a bad reaction to it.

I glance at Aaron's face and I can tell he wants to have a conversation, and wants to take care of me but I don't owe him a conversation.

Suddenly I feel my built up anger.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to take you home? My car is over-"

"Aaron, I want to be alone. I'll see you whenever I want to see you." I leave him standing and walk as fast as I can to the bus stop. Luckily for me, the bus gets there quick and I get on there.

I try to think of reasons why I could possibly be barfing.

God, I need to pee.

And then I realize, I haven't gotten my period.

I get off the bus when I see a pharmacy.

I buy eight pregnancy tests, two of each brand and then I take a bus home.

When I get home, I lock the door and head straight to the bathroom.

I take one test and wait for the results.

When I see it, I head straight to my kitchen to get more bottles of water.

I need to make sure.

In the next hour and a half, it consists of me peeing, drinking water, and stressing over each result.

When I run out of tests to pee on, I stare at all of them.

One negative, the rest are positive.

Positive.

The tears run down my face as I think about everything.

Aaron. Oh, how am I going to tell him?

At this point, I should leave the country and change my name.

Mother's day was last week, and I remember what Athena told me.

She's also pregnant.

If anyone could help me, support me in the best way possible. It's going to be Athena.

I get my phone out to text that I'm going to come over tomorrow. After I sent the text, I realize it's still morning.

I groan. Before throwing up again.

This pregnancy is already kicking my fucking ass.