nineteen | donut date

AARON

I run my hand down my face, tiredly.

With each passing day, the farther I drive.

I've been to over ten animal shelters in the past week.

Looking for Cleo. I haven't had any luck so far.

I listen to the directions my gps tells me to go. I've spent so much money to go into animal shelters at night just to look for Cleo.

Anything to keep Trinity safe.

I've put fliers up in different cities with my phone number instead of Trinity's. I don't want Trinity traveling far while pregnant.

I look at the time.

It's eight in the morning.

Damn it, I pulled another all-nighter.

Trinity should be waking up in an hour.

She's supposed to know the gender of the baby today but Trinity decided she wanted it to be a surprise. We're supposed to talk about names soon, so we're prepared.

I see the sign to the animal shelter and park my car on the street.

I stuff my phone in my pocket before getting out of my car and entering the shelter.

It just opened. I talk to the receptionist for a few minutes before walking into where all the animals are being kept.

I look at each animal carefully, feeling bad for walking away from all of them.

I frown because Ayla kidnapped Dylan after meeting Trinity.

She said it was revenge for being a bitch.

I miss my little guy.

I spot a dog with the coat a golden retriever has and walk towards the cage where it's being kept in.

"Cleo?" I whisper, hoping the dog will respond to the name.

I wait a few seconds for a reaction.

No reaction. My frown deepens.

I walk away and look at all the animals in this shelter.

I walk out empty-handed for what feels like the billionth time.

I check my phone and see a text from Trinity.

The first two words I read are "Come over!" and I shut my phone off and enter my car in a hurry.

I break all existing traffic laws as I drive to her house.

I knock on Trinity's door and it takes a few moments before Trinity opens the door. She's out of breath and her belly is out.

"Did you not read my text? I told you to bring me donuts." She states, her crankiness visible in her voice.

"I stopped reading at 'come over'." I respond.