chapter three. when we were kids

Daphne smiles as she feels hands touching her bare back as a random blonde girl she met five minutes ago is kissing her neck

Daphne smiles as she feels hands touching her bare back as a random blonde girl she met five minutes ago is kissing her neck. She's been at the party for about an hour and barely had anything to drink so she thinks nothing of pulling away from the girl to find Conrad who got there a while after Malia, the two had gone swimming together before they came over, who was now talking to Jeremiah the whole night. When she finds Conrad he hands her a drink like he knew exactly what she wanted from him.

"Your nails are so long, are you sure you're a lesbian?" Conrad pulls Daphne's hand into his own, examining her nails as she pulls away, her nails dragging across the palm of her hand when she does.

"Dude, we used to make my Barbies kiss each other, I'm pretty sure I like women," she smiles as she takes a small gulp of his drink, her eyes falling on Belly who's slowly making her way across the beach. She talks to some guy for a while before Steven starts dragging her away. They push each other for a few seconds before Belly falls at Daphne's feet.

"Okay, on your feet," Daphne leans forward, holding her hands out as Belly takes them before she pulls the girl to her feet. "You okay," she brushes some sand of Belly's face and the girl nods, slowly pulling away from Daphne, their hands still lingering as Daphne firmly takes Belly's hand for a split second before she feels the blonde girl from earlier pull her away. "Don't take drinks from strangers. Take this," Daphne hands Belly her drink before she lets herself get pulled into the night.

After a few minutes someone bumps into her, spilling their drink down her dress as her eyes burn up before she's fist fighting some random stranger as a crowd forms around them when the girl pulls her hand back to punch Daphne when she hits Belly in the face. "Belly," she looks down at the Belly before the random girl punches her in the face when Daphne turns to her, punching the girl in the face. Her fist bloody when Conrad is pulling her away and dragging her to the car and tossing her in the backseat.

"Really?" He asks and she wipes her hands off his shirt making him look down before climbing in with her. "Dude, why didn't you look after her," Jeremiah turns back to them before he hears Belly clears her throat, making the entire group turn to her. "Belly, are you okay?" Daphne leans forward, and Belly follows her lead, sticking her head in through the window.

"Don't worry, Cam is driving me home," she explains and Daphne's eyes fall over to the boy next to Belly before she falls back into her seat listening to Belly and Jeremiah argue about who Belly's driving with. "Just get in the car. We have to take you home, kid," Daphne wipes the blood of her mouth, sniffing a bit, blood still dripping from her nose. When she turns her head Belly kisses Cam Cameron and she turns away when Belly climbs into the car.

"Shit, Steven, and the girls. Watch Daph," Jeremiah heads out, Conrad following behind him.

When they're alone in the car, Daphne's hand moves faster than her mind because it's touching Belly's hair. "After all these years, I love how your hair is still messy, just like when we were kids," her hair feels soft underneath Daphne's bloody fingertips and for a moment she can feel Belly hold he breath before there's a knock on the window. Of course it's a cop.

When they get home, Daphne puts an ice pack on her nose while Laurel talks to the police, assuring them that something like this would happen again.

"How can you guys be so irresponsible? You guys got picked up for underage drinking," she tries not to raise her voice saying that Natasha and Susannah are asleep on the couch. "You're the oldest you should have been taking care of everyone. And when did you leave the house and what are you wearing?" Her eyes move from Conrad to Belly. "And who did you fight?" She turns to Daphne was now leaning against the wall.

"No one, this is not a big deal, Laurel. The cops just let us off with a warning," Daphne pulls the icepack from her nose that throbs a little.

"But it could have ended a lot differently if your family was in your family. Just go to bed with the rest," she waves her hands at them and everyone leaves but Daphne just hands her icepack to Belly, gently resting it on the girl's black eye before she starts heading to her room.

The next morning she wakes up, brushing her teeth before slowly heading out to the beach, her head feeling a little dizzy as she falls down onto the sand, pushing her hair out of her face. When she turns Belly is sitting next to her, laughing a little and Daphne smiles, her face still aching. "Last night-" she starts before Daphne speaks at the same time as her. "Amazing," she says. "A shit show," Daphne laughs a little, placing a cigarette between her lips.

"Let me have a puff," Belly speaks up.

"Your mom will actually kill me," Daphne laughs.

"Well, if I can't smoke, neither can you," Belly turns to Daphne who scrunches up her nose.

"God, your eye," she leans a hand over, her thumb gently grazing Belly's eye. "Your nose," Belly adds and Daphne smiles. "And my hangover. The only thing that will make me feel better all the good muffins. We should go buy something for the others wake up," she smiles, brushing her hair out of her face. "Sorry, I have to go see someone about a whale," Belly smiles as she rushes across the beach, making Daphne look at her when she does.