chapter five. rugrat

Daphne lays on the flat of her back as she sips on a cocktail, watching everyone else swim in the Country Club's pool

"Daph!" Jeremiah calls, running to her side. She pushes up her sun glasses, looking up at him. "Yes, Jere," she holds out her glass to him and he takes it, he takes a whiff before taking a large gulp.

"Guess who's here?" He forces himself onto her beach chair, nearly pushing her to the ground in the process. "If it's not Taylor Swift, then I don't care," she pushes her dark glasses back up. "It's Belly," he presses his cheek against his and gets no reaction from her.

"I know Belly is here, she has her deb thing with my brother and sister, dumbass,"

"Don't you wanna see her?" Jeremiah reaches over and takes off Daphne's sunglasses revealing the soft blue bruise forming near her eye. He grabs her face, tilting it so they can make eye contact.

"You wanna see her, I can see it in your eyes. I feel it in your aura," she slaps his hand away. "I will throw you into the pool if you don't leave me be," Daphne groans, pulling herself up. "Are you going to see her?" Jeremiah jumps to his feet.

"No, I'm buying myself a hotdog," she takes a few dollars from his pocket before walking away. She skips past the snack shake and heads up the steps to where the debs meet. She stands on the first stop of the steps, looking up at where Belly is talking to a boy. She rushes down the steps before either of them can see her before she heads to the shack.

Jeremiah teases her when she finds him again and she tells him they should start heading home. At home, she lays on the couch watching the guys play video games while Malia teaches Ash to ballroom dance. It doesn't go well because every now and then they step on each other's toes and curse, Ash is very uncoordinated but Malia loves a challenge.

"See you guys later," a voice perks up from the door arch, getting everyone's attention. It's Belly, beautiful Belly. Daphne sends a glance her way as Jeremiah rushes to tell her how good she looks. "You look good, Bells," Malia looks up at Belly as she slowly pulls away from Ash and moves to sit between Conrad's legs.

"Where are you going?" Ash flops down on the couch next to Daphne who doesnt try to move to give the girl more room. "I have to go," Belly ignores her question and heads over to the mirror to give herself one last look over and in that moment, Daphne turns her head again, her eyes falling on Belly. "It's gonna be okay, rugrat," Ash flops down onto Daphne, knocking her wind out as she gives her sister a thumbs up.