chapter sixteen. yours

Daphne sits out on the dock, her arms pressed against the railing and staring at the fireworks that the others were lighting and sent flying from their spots on the beach

Daphne sits out on the dock, her arms pressed against the railing and staring at the fireworks that the others were lighting and sent flying from their spots on the beach. A smile creeps onto her lips as listens to the woman in her ears, she had decided to take a Spanish course online because she wasn't in the mood for music, or hanging out with friends  or silence. She feels someone tap her on her shoulder and when she turns she finds Belly standing at her side. Her eyes go wide and she pulls off her headphones, putting them over on the bench.

"Belly Button," she presses her arm to Belly's and the smiley girl turns to her.

"So, does everyone hate me now?" Daphne heard about Belly falling on Susannah earlier today while Daphne lay in her room and slept.  "No one could ever hate you," she turns over as the moon shines on her face, for a moment Belly thinks Daphne is glowing. They sit with Daphne's words for a while before Belly speaks up again. "I think my mom just got railed," Belly laughs and Daphne's mouth goes agape. She curses under her breath with a smile on her mouth.

"Laurel is getting more action than both of us combined," in her laughter, Daphne leans forward and hair falls in her face. Belly stares at her through it all. "I heard from Conrad you've been celibant recently," Belly comments, and Daphne throws her head back. Classic Conrad tells Belly that, he's always had this strange idea of Belly and Daphne falling in love, something Susannah started since before they were born. Susannah had convinced their moms that when Laurel got pregnant for the second time that this child would be destined for Daphne because they were born a month apart. Daphne thinks it's silly but she's always hoped it was true.

"I've got Jesus in my life now," Daphne teases and Belly mumbles a shut up under her breath along with a laughter.  Belly looks at Daphne one more time before launching out loud as Daphne smiles, it was hard to think of Daphne as religious.

"Bells," Daphne catches Belly's hand as the younger girl pauses, her eyes softening on Daphne. "I know it's a bit late but I did get the necklace for you," Daphne's hand is in her pocket and Belly's eyes focus on her. "Belly, this necklace," she tugs the box from the pocket of her hoodie and places it into her hand.

"It's yours, just like my heart, it's always been yours," she doesn't meet Belly's gaze, her nail tracing on Belly's hand. She raises it up and presses a kiss onto the girl's palm. Her head goes up and her face is inches away from Belly's, their lips are about to brush when a firework blazes last them, pulling them apart by their seems. They pause, staring out to the water as silence falls onto them.