chapter twenty six. infinity

Daphne took off her bow tie as her father gave her his tie, tying it for her

Daphne took off her bow tie as her father gave her his tie, tying it for her. "Thank you." she was angry with him but he got her to go to the ball and a part of her was relieved about it.

"Daphne, you look great!" Susannah was the first to spot her in the crowd, bringing her to their table. "Susannah, Laurel, mom." Daphne hugged the women, letting them each compliment her before they turned their attention to Henry and Carlos.

"Daphne! Come here!" Conrad whisper yells at her, pulling the girl onto his lap, there had been no other available chairs except the two Carlos and Henry took. "Take my blazer." he shrugged it off as she thanked him, "I like your necklace." he played with her heart locket, "Open it." she smiled as she watched him, inside was a small picture of Jesper.

"Where did you get this?" he couldn't hide his smile, "This feels like a cursed image."

"The kid has her sources." she shrugged when the music suddenly started playing louder than before as Daphne got off his lap. It was the last dance of the night, everyone was getting ready to dance with their partners when Daphne noticed she couldn't find Jeremiah anywhere.

Conrad didn't even have to tell her to go to Belly, before the thought could make its way out of his lips, she was on the dance floor, standing across from Belly, her Isabel.

"I think I know a few of the moves." she still remembered the dance from when she was helping Malia rehearse so she knew all the right steps too. Belly didn't say anything but her eyes seemed to light up when she held her hand out to Daphne.

With every step she took, Daphne could swear she heard her heart beat in her head, in her finger tips, in every part of her that brushed against Belly. Her soul felt lit up.

This was all she wanted, being with Belly, being around Belly. She couldn't imagine there being a world where she wasn't completely and utterly in love with the girl in front of her.

"Thank you." Belly whispers to her when the dance is over. "Anything for you." Daphne paused, she could feel a blush ruse to her cheek. This wasn't very friendshipy but Daphne didn't care because she wanted Belly. She knew it wouldn't be easy, that sometimes it would hurt, ache and sting but she found that those moments were important in relationships because even then she knew she could look at Belly and feel infinity.

"Daphne, can we talk?" someone tugged at her arm, "Conrad told me you know. Why didn't you-" Jeremiah's words made her pause. Of course Conrad told her, he told her the second he found out.

"Jere, I couldn't. Come on, we can't talk about this here." Daphne pulled away from Belly but she could feel Belly's look of confusion on her. "I can't believe you've both known about this-" Jeremiah turned to Conrad who had snuck up on them and before he could say anything, his fist collided with Conrad's jaw, both boys flew to the ground.

"Both of you, stop it!" Susannah yelled, her cheeks flushing as Daphne pulled Conrad from his brother and in the heat of the moment, Jeremiah's fist made contact with her cheekbone. Gasps go through the room and Daphne holds up a hand to tell everyone she's fine. She might have a black eye tomorrow but she would be fine.

"What is going on with you three?" Susannah asked and Daphne looked between the boys, stepping back. She didn't want to intrude.

"Mom." Jeremiah's voice broke. "We know, mom. We all know." Conrad spoke softly, trying not to draw anymore attention to them. "What do you know?" Belly asked and like that, Daphne felt a wave of hurt flush over her as she looked at her friends and family because suddenly it was real, Susannah was sick again and this time she wouldn't get better.